Jawfish and Purple Firefish Together?

Gina McReeferson

My sweet Baby David
Hello all.:) Just curious if any of you have jawfish and purple firefish living in harmony together.

We have 2 purple firefish and recently added 2 pearly jawfish. A few days later, one of the jawfish turned up dead and we have yet to see the second jawfish. It's been a couple of weeks now, we figure we would have seen the second by now if he were still alive.

We have no idea what happened to them, the only thing that has come to mind is that maybe there was a conflict between them and the already established jawfish, they do share a general shape in common.

Any ideas?

Thank you all in advance.:)

The same exact thing happened to my pearly jaw fish... I bought mine a few weeks back one died the very next day or maybe even that night and then never saw the second one again... I did hear not sure if it is true but if they are the same sex they fight to the death. wish i new that ahead of time if that is what happened....

I have read that pearly jawfish do well in pairs or in colonies, I have not heard that two of the same sex will kill each other. When we picked them up at the store, there were a bunch of them together actually, under the same big rock. Otherwise, our first thought would have been that maybe they were two males and fought until the end. I know that purple firefish don't always get along if they're not a pair but I have never heard that of jawfish.
We would really like to have a pair but we'd like to find out if the firefish are a threat to them before we try again.

-Gina

I am pretty sure purple firefish are not responsible for the demise of the jawfish. Might have been something else. How long where they aclimated to your tank, how did you do it? What are your tanks vitals? Look elsewhere. Purple firefish are the most aggressive off the Dartfish but they dont kill unless its another firefish of its own sex. Do you have a sandsifting goby or a watchman of any kind?

I am pretty sure purple firefish are not responsible for the demise of the jawfish. Might have been something else. How long where they aclimated to your tank, how did you do it? What are your tanks vitals? Look elsewhere. Purple firefish are the most aggressive off the Dartfish but they dont kill unless its another firefish of its own sex. Do you have a sandsifting goby or a watchman of any kind?

Our tank vitals are great as far as I know. David is always on top of that. I do know that we have zero nitrates (I hear that's good:D), I have to admit that I'm still a bit ignorant to tank vitals myself, that's David's department along with equipment.;)

Everything in our tank is thriving and perfectly healthy which is why we couldn't figure out what happened to these guys.

We have no sandsifting or watchman gobies of any kind.

Maybe we just got a couple of unhealthy jawfish to begin with?:confused:

-Gina

Maybe they just didnt acclimate well. Maybe they just didnt take well the change from ok holding water from a LFS to excellent show water from your tank.

LOL, that's funny.:D
Actually I think the store that we got them from must have pretty good water quality themselves. We have bought quite a few fish from them that are doing very well.

-Gina

Yes, or they may have just come from an unhealthy batch of jawfish.

Does anyone have firefish and jawfish together or had in the past?

Compatibility

Most things that I have read say that Jawfish and gobies are not compatible.
You can check out at liveaquaria.com. If you put in jawfish, it also says they are not compatible with Gobies. I hate to cast aspersions on "GrandPa", but
I would watch him.....

Hello all.:) Just curious if any of you have jawfish and purple firefish living in harmony together.

We have 2 purple firefish and recently added 2 pearly jawfish. A few days later, one of the jawfish turned up dead and we have yet to see the second jawfish. It's been a couple of weeks now, we figure we would have seen the second by now if he were still alive.

We have no idea what happened to them, the only thing that has come to mind is that maybe there was a conflict between them and the already established jawfish, they do share a general shape in common.

Any ideas?

Thank you all in advance.:)

Back