Jay's

panayiote73

Non-member
I happen to be in the area with a fellow reefer this weekend and couldn't resist stopping in at Jays Aquatics. I've been talking about going up for weeks and had built up quite a bit of anticipation.
In general I keep my expectations low this way I'm rarely disapointed. Unfortunately for Jay's I had a bad experience and feel compelled to write about it.
I'm going to try and not be nit picky here I will simply point out the things that disappointed me.
2 employees smoking in the doorway. As we approached they put out their cigarettes and promptly closed the door inches from our faces.

One person working while 2 others wandered around. This was not just perception, the only person working made it very clear he was the only one working while the others "screwed around". There were 5 or 6 customers in there including us. Customer service was definitely suffering.

Only a third of the livestock was labeled and or priced. This may be nit picky.

I was shopping for coral, asked several questions, mainly "What is That". It was promptly answered with "That's an SPS", or "That's a Sponge, I think", my favorite was "I Don't Know". Maybe fish was his specialty who knows.

Maybe they were having an off day who knows. I won't write them off completely but I definitely won't make a special trip up there either. If I'm in the area though I'll give them another shot.

removed duplicate text, MikeG

Last edited by a moderator:
sorry you had a bad experience there.You have to take into account that most of their corals come in and out fast.They don't have made up names to charge through the roof like most other lfs.Example is they had a sps colony mark for $80.At another lfs the same type sps colony was label Aussie ice fire enchinata for $280.As far as prices is concern nobody beats Jay's hands down.If you notice the prices he had mark on there it will say acro $65,chalice $75.What you won't see is shocking the world chalice for $2000 or $75 an eye

been going to jays since I started reefing, and they have always had slow inconsistent customer service. I find myself searching for help instead of being asked if I needed anything. they have always smoked, sometimes in the joint, and I hate that smell so its a problem sometimes. the prices are good, nothing crazy with the names, and he will frag most corals on request. overall I still go there, but I don't really enjoy it. If I didn't have just 2 good options of lfs in NH I wouldnt ever go there.
just my 2 cents
Jeff

Ive been going to jays for 3 years now and althought its not petco clean and staffed i find the store to be exactly what i want in a fish store. The guys are down to earth and will go out of their way to help you there is only 5 employees and 2 of them are part time. They are so busy because they are well priced and have the live stock, equipment, supplements right there on the shelf everytime. If Jay hired 6 employees to keep up with the flow what would happen to the prices? I usually go friday afternoons after he gets his delivery and the crowds are down so the guys have more time to help. They have a philosophy of sell the item for a good price and get more customers instead of get rich off every piece. If you look at my profile you can see my album everything in my tanks except a couple pieces came from Jays. Jay came to my house and spent 3 hours cleaning my tank when I purchased it used off craigslist. He took my calcium reator home and cleaned it and filled it showed me how to use it and adjust it. I wont tell you what he charged me because it was so cheap he would be over whelmed with request for the service and Im pretty sure he isnt doing house calls any more as he doesnt have time with the shops high volumn. I was blown away by his service for somthing I didnt even buy from him. I guess I will sum it up by saying if you want shiny uncluttered fullly staffed pet store go to petco. If you want knowledge ,well stocked, great prices, no bs down to earth fish store go to Jays

Back