Jebao WP 40 wavemaker review

wdebenedettojr

BRS Member
So its been a little over a week now since i received my Jebao wp 40 and I wanted to post yet another review of these products and my opinion on them.

To start off, I think these products are awesome. Since I installed it last week the polyp extension on all my sps has gotten much better and the tank appears to be a lot cleaner. I run my wp 40 on W1 as i see it as the best mode out of all of them. I also have the newer controller that has 3 different speed modes i assume, so i run mine on S2 (s1 lowest s3 fastest). I have a 90 gallon (standard size 48" x 18") and i have various sps, lps, and zoas. I did leave my 2 koralias (1 is 1050 gph and the other is 1450 gph) in the tank with the jebao. However, when my Jebao is on one of the koralias (1450) does not turn on but the 1050 gph which is on the opposite side of the tank does stay on for 15 seconds then off for a minute. I do have an apex so these programs are easy for me to run. I have the Jebao wavemaker turn on at about 10AM and turn off at 1130PM at night, when the Jebao is off both koralias are on opposite programs to create a smaller, consistent flow. I dont leave the jebao on all the time because i feel its just way to powerful to run 24/7 and plus the corals do need a slower current at night to relax. I do know the wp's come with a light sensor but have read tons of reviews that they fail so i just assume use my apex :).

I have been in the hobby for a little over ten years and when i started i used the basic powerheads from aqua clears all the way up to the tunze's (i have not owned or used the ecotechs but heard great things about them). I have never been a huge fan of spending hundreds of dollars for a single powerhead (tunze/ecotechs) so i use to cheap out and use the koralias with a lot of success. Now with these wp 40's, they are a game changer. For the money they are awesome. I paid $83 for mine and it has been almost the best purchase i have made in the hobby. Very powerful and the controller they come with are perfect for dialing in a perfect wave in the tank. I cant speak for the mp powerheads because i have never used them or owned them (never will either at $450 for a single one!) but in my opinion i believe the wp's are just as good as the tunze's and i would highly recommend them to anyone that wants champagne taste on beer money.

Now the real question is, can these WP pump price outweight the awesomeness of MP pump? tagging along

I have had my WP-40 for around a month or so (old controller) and have been very happy with it so far. I think the real question is how will they hold up over time. If I can get 2 years from it I think I will be happy, but so far so good.

thats' the reason I bought 2 of them, in case they do break, I have a backup, even 2 of them at ~$120 is a lot cheaper than the expensive american pumps

I am really happy with mine as well. But I don't think my photocell is working properly as it ramps down when the lights are off but then they shut off by morning when I check on it.

I have both WP40 & Wp25 and very happy with them, love the size of WP25. I use light sensor on WP40 for awhile now and it works great. The sensor requires little light to switch into night mode (complete dark won't work). I am try to use it on my WP25 but I can't find it (I took off and placed it somewhere). In addition, fish street website sells replacement parts for WP40 & Wp25.

I extended the wires on the sensor so they go into my hood.
The moon lights are just enough to trigger it into night mode.

I also tried the 2 sided sticky pad that comes with the WP-40 control.
I wanted to move my control and...well...the stcky pad is finished.
Ended up buying industrial strength velcro(Home Depot) with the sticky side and the control is nicely/firmly mounted on the outside of my hood now.And if I need to remove it,I can.

So far the WP-40 is working quite well after 3-4 months of service.
I think the question is will the MP-40 be able to keep up with these chinease knock offs?
Cause I could get a heck of a lot more service buying (4) WP-40 for the price of 1 MP-40.

Last edited:
Anybody using the WP40 with variable voltage power supplies to reduce the speed? I have the version with the latest controller, but cannot use 'Else' mode because the waves are too much for my taste. What and where can I get the power supply locally? Thanks in advance.

Jonathan

Anybody using the WP40 with variable voltage power supplies to reduce the speed? I have the version with the latest controller, but cannot use 'Else' mode because the waves are too much for my taste. What and where can I get the power supply locally? Thanks in advance.

Jonathan

you can lower the speed with S2 75% or S3 50%

I just look at it if these only last a year and I have to replace big deal. One mp 40 is $450. I can buy 5 or 6 wp's with that amount of money. I agree, will vortech be able to keep up with the "no name brand" powerheads considering the price point.

I got mines yesterday I ordered 4 of them on Monday and they where here yesterday just the shipping was amazing I did set them up this morning and I love them....

What were you guys using for pumps before? I have an mp40 and a mp10 and love em just wondering what everyone else was using that they replaced with the jebao pumps

2 mp10 and 2 tunze 6045.The 1 jebao made them looks silly

Tell me about it.
It is a very simple technology and inexpensive to produce. Only the Jebao got too lazy to re-design the look.

I can't run Else Mode on my WP25s either, I set one pump on S3, the other on W1, the randomness seems to work well...

What were you guys using for pumps before? I have an mp40 and a mp10 and love em just wondering what everyone else was using that they replaced with the jebao pumps

Mine only replaced a Koralia for now. The main reason I bought 2 of them was for a 125g I am in the process of getting stuff for. I purchased mine from Fishstreet

Back