jns or reef octopus skimmer?

The Reef Octopus Extreme XS 200 Protein Skimmer looks to be a better design than the XS-160
for your application. I am not sure on the stats on the pump.

I have an extreme 160. Had startup issues but I swapped out the pinwheel for a Red Demon and it has never had a problem since. The pinwheel upgrade substantially improves performance.

so ive been reading up on the xp-2000,some say its way over kill for a 90g??

The XP-1000SSS is rated for 125 gallons. I'm running it on a 60 cube. It is a bit over kill. I have zero issues with the pump being under the reaction chamber, the reaction chamber is 6" on the XP-1000SSS and 5" on the SRO1000INT so the point is mute. If you have room buy the INT because it's $45 cheaper, you'll get the same performance, it's the same Bubble Blaster pump. Both skimmers are rated for 125 gallons.

The XP-1000SSS is $329 http://premiumaquatics.com/aquatic-supplies/CV-XP-1000SSS.html
The SRO-1000INT is $284 http://premiumaquatics.com/aquatic-supplies/CV-SRO-1000INT.html

The choice is up to you. You'll be happy with either. Good luck and happy reefing! :)

Last edited:
well i ended up buying a sro-1000int skimmer,it looks to be a nice unit..i set it up in my 100g rubber maid sump which is being used to cure some dry rock.it been in there for 4 days so far and i cant get it to stop over flowing.ive tried anywhere from 5.5 to 7.5 " of water with the same results.its making great foam but the foam just over flows like crazy.the cone part of the skimmer doesnt even look to have any water in it,only foam.the collection cup is mostly full of water with a inch of foam on top and spilling over.the foam isnt dirty whatsoever.am i doing something wrong or is this just normal break-in?

You probably have the gate valve closed too much. That skimmer should be in anywhere from 6"-10" of water, as long as the output isn't covered. The water level in the skimmer should be somewhere around 2" under the start of the cone. You shouldn't see any water in the cone, just foam.

Try the skimmer at 6" and open the gate valve to drop the water level. It should take a week or so before it starts to produce a nice foam while it breaks in, so don't worry If you don't get anything at first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

when i first put the skimmer on it was in 7.5" with the gate all the way open,it instantly started foaming and over flowing,the water coming out of the outflow is also really foamy.

when i first put the skimmer on it was in 7.5" with the gate all the way open,it instantly started foaming and over flowing,the water coming out of the outflow is also really foamy.

MY XP1000-SSS is in about 7.5 of water too. If it's overflowing then it could be something in the water. When I got my skimmer I ran it over night in water and white vinegar to remove any chemicals from molding. I then put it in my sump with the valve all the way open. The water never came more than half way up the cone. I adjusted it daily for about a week until I got it to where I wanted it. Some said that the output should be above water. Well mine has never been & I have zero issues.

so its been running in 5.5" of water the past couple days,still overflowing like crazy.the rock im using has been soaked in vinegar and rinsed before placing it in the sump and also used e-marco bonding cement on the rock structure i made.the water was dirty after adding the rock,now after running the skimmer for a week or so and scooping out all the foam that was floating around the water looks very clean.could vinegar that was still in the rock or the e-marco cement be causing this overflow?

the rock im using has been soaked in vinegar and rinsed

That's it. Vinegar should be used to clean non-porous things like pumps, skimmers, etc and absolutely NEVER on porous things such as live rock. When I run my skimmer in vinegar and water in a 5 gallon bucket I can have a head of foam several inches thick in the entire bucket. People use vinegar for carbon dosing at maybe 1/2 teaspoon a day. It may take months for it to go 100% away. I hope you don't have fish and corals in this tank, your pH must be crashed and below 8.0. I'd take the rock out, soak it in a bucket of rodi water for a few months, change the water weekly and rinse the rocks. Who told you to soak the rocks in vinegar? The vinegar is now locked into the pore structure of those rocks. I'd just throw them away.

Last edited:
i was told to soak the rock in vinegar to clean it.the sump isnt connected to a system,its only for curing the rock as i set up my 90.i dont plan to have the tank setup for atleast another month so i guess thats a good thing.so i guess its just a wait game and let it do its things?will adding carbon help?

That's it. Vinegar should be used to clean non-porous things like pumps, skimmers, etc and absolutely NEVER on porous things such as live rock. When I run my skimmer in vinegar and water in a 5 gallon bucket I can have a head of foam several inches thick in the entire bucket. People use vinegar for carbon dosing at maybe 1/2 teaspoon a day. I may takes months for it to go 100% away. I hope you don't have fish and corals in this tank, your pH must be crashed and below 8.0. I'd take the rock out, soak it in a bucket of rodi water for a few months, change the water weekly and rinse the rocks. Who told you to soak the rocks in vinegar? The vinegar is now locked into the pore structure of those rocks. I'd just throw them away.

X2

Never use Vinegar on porous things. Only non-porous. Your gonna have to let the rock leach out all the vinegar it has soaked in.

In some cases people soak rock in mild acid (usually muratic acid, but vineger will work as well just slower) to dissolve the outer layer of old LR rock which may have phosphate bound up on it.

Back