Just hung my lights!

Brewmaster

Non-member
OK my lighting is hung:D

What is the best way to acclimate my tank in habitants to the new lights?

If I dont have screening material can I raise the lights higher?

New lighting is 2X250W MH 14k phoenix bulbs.

Thanks,
Jim

I just bought a new lighting and will increase from 300W to 500W, the same lighting as you've done and I know the acclimation I will have to go thru will be with 3 layers of black fiberglass screen and remove one layer at a time. It'll take weeks for the process but it's how I'll slowly acclimate.

I just have it on for 3 hours a day instead of 6 hours normally. I think the screen is a better method.

If you raise then lower a little each day keep a close eye if you notice any drastic changes in your corals for the worse. Be ready with eggcrate, screen and tywraps, all can be purchased from Home Depot. I'd rather play it safe than to burn any corals.

We recently upgraded from PC to MH, still going with the lowering method of acclimating. We wanted to be uber cautious so we started with the bulb 24 inches over the tank and have been lowering it by 2-3 inches each week. It is a PITA but I did not want to burn any of our SPS or LPS.

I didn't shorten our photo period.

I have done the lowering method as well and lowered it an inch every 2 or 3 days, I think I shut the lights down a little early a couple of time if I recall correctly. And I upgraded from PCs to 250s then from 250s to 400s
Lowering the lights works the same as putting the screen on.

I went with 3 sheets of screen over the glass top and set the lights 12" over the water.

I'm running the MH 8 hours a day.

I plan on removing a piece of screen every 4-5 days.

Is this too soon?

Jim

No that sounds good.

You have your glass top on the tank still? Now that you have MHs you might want to remove that because it is going to hold in heat and block the light.

I only put it back on to hold the screening and block some light. I haven't used the glass top in over a year. It will be coming off when I remove all the screen.

Back