Just wanted to introduce myself

I didn't say that I wasn't going to look into it any further I just was looking for a quick way out hoping that he may have some at a reduced price and then trade in some frags to get a better deal. Cash is a little tight right now and the units that they had at Tropic Isle (Kent 4 stage I believe) were just over $400. I was trying to find something suitable for a fraction of that price. I am also going to start looking on line as well.
This is one of the down sides of my system although I have been really lucky so far as far as coral health and nuisance algae are concerned. I guess I should adopt the philosophy whatever can go wrong will go wrong and just buy one, I will probably be astonished by the difference that it would make.

Some of the BRS Vendors have put together deals on RO/DI DIY kits.
I added a whole house filter to my main 3/4" water line to assist in removing sediment.
I've changed it 3x in 5 months now

Richard said:
Hi Mike

I'm using a Oceanic 100 gpd from Aquatic reef for over 2years and works like a champ.
Customer service is also top notch. Ebay also sell them. http://www.aquaticreefsystems.com/Reverse_Osmosis_4Stage.htm
I was just looking at some of the online stores and these prices along with the one in the link that you posted around $200 are much more attractive.
I had one other question, I assume water quality as well as lighting will effect the coloration of stony corals. If the water quality is not very good will that affect the population of the zooanthalae (sp.)?

Mike

Depends on what's in the tap water Mike. If there's copper in the water it won't just affect the population of zoxanthellae, it'll straight out kill anything without a spine.

There are just too many variables in city water, IMO, for it to be worth the risk. RODI units are quite affordable, and I think it's a very good investment for any reefer. Browse through the "Equipment" forum here. I seem to recall seeing a couple units for sale in the last week or two.

I use an AirWaterIce Typhoon V that I bought from a member here for about $125 I think. New they go for about $200, I think. A bargain at either price if you ask me.

Nate

How about a sponsor product?

Aqua-Fx is a great company who just got on board as a BRS sponsor. You may want to check them out. You can also find their product in LFS, such as Fishy Business.

If the tank water have too much nutriens it will turn your sps brown due to too many zooanthellae(correct me if I'm wrong) within its tissue. Also fuel your alga problems.

I bought a RO/DI unit off of ebay and I love it. I still add tap water to my fresh water tanks though. When I fill a white bucket with tap water and another with RO/DI you can really see the difference. The tap water is not clear by any stretch of the imagination.

That was my thought as well although I haven't had any problems lately with algae, I have some orange monti digitata that no mater where in the tank it is placed it is rather brown.

Can't wait till you get the top off and RO/DI down.. I'll see the smile on your face, and for the first time since like the 70's I can say... "Look... Hey Mikey... He likes it".

Sorry... some of you prolly don't remember Mikey...

D

Back