Just when you think you are back in control!

clamm

Nothing to nobody
Well, I just started to get back on top of this hobby it turns around and slaps you in the face!

I finally began to get ahead of the algae problem...and managed to do it and save my livestock...so what happens next...someone takes out power which drops my tank temp to a somewhere in teh 60's...killing my yellow corras wrasse and scooter blenny pair...so whats next...? my RBTA (favorite peice) is still doing great... So whats next...well my RBTA climbs the overflow and gets stuck between the return pipe and the drain, it basically split into, but it only has one mouth, so I figure its pretty much dead. That was my favorite peice. I have put so much into this darn hobby, at this point its hard to continue...This pisses me off, thats the 3rd rbta to go because of stuff non chemistry related and at over 50/each I can't afford any more...

Very bad day...

forgive me while I vent!

Casey - I'm so sorry to hear about your problems (again!). Don't give up. Are you sure it was the temp drop and not air circulation that killed your fish? Bec and others have told me that air circulation is the key in a power outage. Temp doesn't typically do that much harm. Did you have any battery operated air bubblers? If not, that would be a worthwhile investment ($13 each) to prepare for the future. Sorry again...

Daire

Good idea, could have been air...but it wouldnt have helped cause i didnt know it when out till i woke up the next day.

this hobby doesnt seem to be made for me.

Sorry to hear about that Casey. I know how you feel lately. Definitely spend your next $20 on a pair of automatic air-pumps. They plug in the wall, and only go on when the power goes out. A real life saver.

yup, im not as upset about that as the rose...it was pretty nice. RIP with all the others.

Sorry to hear that, but I've seen RBTA that got suck into the powerhead intake & look so bad, but yet still make it at the end. Try to do search in RC at the anemone forum, there're tons of threads showing anemone survive this kind of accident.

its in the sump now under a pc light...its split down the middle 3/4 the way down. but its not rotting yet. maybe it will make it, but doesnt look good... we will see.

My rbta is on the move too. My clown which was hosting it now doesn't know what to do and is switching off between the torch coral and the rbta which has decided to live next to my powehead.

I hope everything works out! Keep the faith!

casey,
I have a rose BTA for you. its the least i can do for all your help.
its going to be small (ifferfish wants the large one)
but if it helps ease your frustration, I am glad to offer it up for free.

of course it will :) I dont care what the size is mine is now 2 peices the size of nickels!

Sorry about your lost. Time to get a battery backup.

I tried to keep a RBTA but it split twice and they were all always on the move. One ended up in an overflow, the other 2 had difficulty finding a suitable place to live.

Casey - these battery operated air pumps are CHEAP and well worth the investment for piece of mind. They are under $15 each. I know Marc down at Fish Business had some because I bought mine from him a few weeks ago. I bought 2 for my 75 and was so happy I had them during my 5 hour power outage last weekend.

Covering an overflow with eggcrate and/or craft mesh is also very cheap insurance against this sort of thing... it doesn't restrict water flow at all and prevents pretty much all critters from entering the overflow (especially if you go with the finer craft mesh over an eggcrate "shelf"; the eggcrate alone will still let small animals through). And it's easily removeable for maintenance/cleaning.

Nuno

clamm
i have a nice orange monti cap frag like 4"x4" if that helps mend your wounds it is very healthy and grows like weed

let me know

Oh man, sorry casey,

I know it not much but can give give you some xania.I've been looking at the auto air pumps.15-20$ for an auto pump.Where was that? seen them for 39-50$ mail order.

Man, my (used to be yours) beloved plate coral is dead today and joined the rest of its friends that used to share your tank together.

Back