Kalkwasser Dosing Question

smcnally

Tankless
How do you guys with auto top off systems dose Kalkwasser? I was told by someone that it has to be mixxed with RODI. But if I do that my salinity will drop because my RODI unit auto fills my system. Can I mix it with tank water and then drip it back in? or is there an easier way to do this?

You can combine both kalk dosing and auto top-off into one system, that way you're replacing all the evaporated water with kalkwasser (which should indeed be made with RODI). Not sure if that answers your question, though.

Nuno

It doesn't really. My RODI is piped right to my sump. When the water gets low the float valve opens up and it tops off the tank. I don't know how I would mix it in.

you could use a nilsen reactor, and have your RODI pumped through the reactor and then into the tank. The nilsen reactor mixes the kalk with the rodi and then it outputs into the tank. you may also need a holding tank for the rodi water so it doesn't add too much kalk at once ant mess up your PH.
I dont have a link, but if you do a search you shoud find a few useful links about it.

smcnally said:
It doesn't really. My RODI is piped right to my sump.

Ah, that's what I thought, but I wasn't sure from your description... I think Jill&Brian's suggestions are sound, but I don't have any experience with Nielsen reactors.

But, in addition to making dosing of kalk a bit easier, you may want to look into having a separate holding tank also for an added level of safety (in case the float valve sticks open, and RODI is dumped continuously into the sump... similar to what happened to Nate a while back)

Nuno

I have a holding tank. The rodi tops off the holding tank. I mix the kalk in the holding tank and it tops off 2 different systems. Pretty much you use the same top off your useing to automate your rodi, just get another one and redirect it to a holding tank.

nunofs said:
But, in addition to making dosing of kalk a bit easier, you may want to look into having a separate holding tank also for an added level of safety (in case the float valve sticks open, and RODI is dumped continuously into the sump... similar to what happened to Nate a while back)

Nuno
I have thought of doing a holding tank, but IMO it is just one more area for potential failure to happen. I really don'[t hink my float will stick open. I was very careful about where I put it and really thought it out. My hose comes from above and the actual water outlet is about 3" above the water surface. I also put it in an extremely low flow area of the sump. It has been in for months now and doesn't have one spec of salt on it. It is also all stainless steel and brass (except the float itself).

I think I will look into the Nilsen Reactor though...I feel another DIY project coming up.

I thought the "nut" part of the compression fitting was brass, but I stand corrected. The whole thing is stainless. I just checked.

Attachments

• fv15image.jpg
    fv15image.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:
Back