Kalkwasser Question

Mike Lemming

BRS Member
Hey guys,

I am curious as to if you guys are dosing kalk and if so, are you dosing it all day or, breaking up your dose at night only? I understand people do it at night to keep ph stable when the lights are out, but doesn't that give the entire day to slowly deplete your alk therefor it is not as stable on the daily? What's more important, alk stability or ph stability?

Hey guys,

I am curious as to if you guys are dosing kalk and if so, are you dosing it all day or, breaking up your dose at night only? I understand people do it at night to keep ph stable when the lights are out, but doesn't that give the entire day to slowly deplete your alk therefor it is not as stable on the daily? What's more important, alk stability or ph stability?

I dose at night for about 3 hours. Actually, slowly bringing it up to 4 hours. I couldn't really get my Alk up past 6 but the corals were still growing. I think both are actually pretty good to be stable but I would prefer that pH is stable.

I dose my kalk 24 equal doses, keeps ph higher across the whole 24 hours. I guess the question is , what is the main reason for dosing the kalk, is it the sole supplement for alk and calcium, if so I would dose equally over 24 hr period since most alk uptake would be when the lights are on and enjoy the bump up in ph.
If you are dosing kalk just to offset ph swing then dose at night, provided some other form of dosing is taking care of alk and calcium

I dose my kalk 24 equal doses, keeps ph higher across the whole 24 hours. I guess the question is , what is the main reason for dosing the kalk, is it the sole supplement for alk and calcium, if so I would dose equally over 24 hr period since most alk uptake would be when the lights are on and enjoy the bump up in ph.
If you are dosing kalk just to offset ph swing then dose at night, provided some other form of dosing is taking care of alk and calcium
Thanks man. I am dosing it as a cal and alk solution and of course, the ph bump. I've been dosing on a Kemoar continuous doser 24/7. I have seen lately that people would rather dose at night to keep the ph stable. I guess I don't know what's MORE important to keep stable, ph or cal and alk?

Everything stable is the best and when swings do happen it won’t do much but even so I do recommend 24/7 dosing of kalk

Back