Kessil DIY hanging frame

Bobbofin

Non-member
I just bought two four month old Kessil A160WE LED lights with the spectral controller, cables, and the goose neck adapters (not the goose necks themselves) off eBay for $375. Would have been $600 new. Currently have a AquaticLife 4x39w T5 fixture on my rimless, reef ready, Starfire 40 breeder that will need bulbs soon and I really do miss the shimmer of LED or MH. Will be putting that up for sale in a few weeks with the original tank mount legs. What I came up with was to use the hanging kit from my existing T5 fixture and build a frame using u shaped aluminum to hang the lights from, spray paint it black and use the u shape to hide all the wires. The goose neck adapter really are going to make this easy as far as mounting. Here are some pics. Just built frame today. Will drill holes for hanging kit and goose neck adapters, get stainless hardware then paint when lights come in next week. Spacing will be great with each light covering a 18x18x16" deep area.

Attachments

• Kessil mount.jpg
    Kessil mount.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 622
  • kessil2.jpg
    kessil2.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 568
Got lights today and hung on rack I made. The wiring is a mess but only temporary. Gonna take down and paint rack and do wire management in the tracks. Have turned way down to give corals a break.

Lighting schedule is:

time color % intensity%
11:00 0 5
13:00 20 20
15:00 40 30
19:00 40 30
21:00 20 20
23:00 0 0

color scheme 100=10kk, 50=15kk and 0=20kk
intensity is 0-100%
Pretty simple no frills programming. Slowly increases and decreases color and intensity through out the day.

Attachments

• light hung.JPG
    light hung.JPG
    77.2 KB · Views: 631
Wow once you do wire management on that it's going to look pretty slick nice job

Changed directions

Went in an entirely different route. Built a wooden frame and dropped the Kessils right in. Have 3.25" room in front and back for 2x24w retrofit kit. Gonna put ATI blue+ in front and coral+ in back. Gonna leave open on top for cooling. Wife didn't like the industrial angle iron look in the livingroom even if it was painted.

Attachments

• hood2.jpg
    hood2.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 553
  • hood1.jpeg
    hood1.jpeg
    35.5 KB · Views: 812
Back