Korallin 1502 Calcium reactor with American Marine pinpoint PH controler

pbienkiewicz

Non-member
I have had my calcium reactor running for a week now. I recently upgrade a few parts. I bought a lid with a PH probe adapter and a PH controller. I am going to use the PH monitor to monitor the tanks PH. When I added the PH controller probe into the lid it reads that the PH inside the reactor is significantly lower than the PH inside the drip cup. I found this out by getting rid of the water in the drip cup and let the drip cup fill up again. I even took both PH probes and put them together into the drip cup and got the same PH.

Manufacture recommends the PH in the reactor stay between 6.5 and 7.0. With a drip rate of 40 and 10 Bubbles per minute, The PH in the reactor is reading somewhere around 6.2.
For those who run a calcium reactor what PH settings do you have your controller set for?

6.2 is to low it will turn your media into sludge, you have to stay above 6.5. I run mine at 6.7 but it will all depend on your volume and the consumption of your corals etc... my system has over 400 gallons of water. you need to figure out what level ph in your reactor and how much drip flow works for your system.

I think 6.2 is borderline, but I have had mine dip below 6 without issue. I use to run two probes, one in the reactor, and one in the tank. Every so often I would go from 8.1, to 4. It would set off my alarm, I would call my wife, I would race home from work, to find if I unplugged my probe and plugged it back in it would be fine. So I learned not to stress changes all the time, it will drive you nuts. Just like anything in this hobby over time, by taking it slow you will find what works for your tank. Large media supposedly takes a lower PH to melt, and the smaller a higher.I am not sure if thats true?? Once you have your levels where you want them check it after 24hrs. Now I dont use a probe in the reactor, or the tank. I wouldnt recommend it, and I do have two new ones I will be calibrating and putting in, but its been that way for about 6mos. I have it art a point where it stays on all the time. I have about it dripping at about 55drips/min, and about 40 bubbles/min. Some people think its a lot, but my Alk stays at 8.5, and my calc is at about 450. It takes sometime, but once you get it you dont have to worry about it. I cracked my pump cleaning it last week, and now I am dosing everyday. I have about 130gals, and a SPS dominated tank.

Good Luck Derek

Back