Lawnmower blenny and clams ?

Pat H.

(Previously PHreef)
BRS Member
Has anyone had any problems keeping them together? Just wondering because in Scott Michaels Marine Fishes (pg 336, called Jeweled Rockskipper) he says they may nip clam mantles. All the posts about this fish lately made me want to get one.
I have a large tank (345 gls) so I thought it might not bother with the clam.
Any other interesting info would be helpful also.
Thanks, Patrick

I have 1 in a 75 with 2 clams,,,,No troubles at all.

You may want to make sure they have enough to graze on though. Mime do not nip my clams at all they are very cool to watch also and with a tank that big I doubt you'll have problems.

Mine used to tease my croceas into closing, just to eat the algae in the scutes of the shell. I'd never seen him "nip" the mantle, but he would brush against them to make them close.

D

Ayup, mine doesn't nip at the clams although it does pester them from time to time trying to eat off their shells... I wouldn't think it would be a problem even in a pretty small tank, but certainly not in a larger one where the blenny will almost surely be chomping on many other things most of the time.

Not to hijack your thread but do you need a sandbed for a lawnmover blenny?
Thnking about getting one.

Nope. No sandbed needed.

Mine often nips at the Sea Hare, but I think it's because he genuinely thinks it's a big nasty ball of algae.

Back