Lawnmower Blenny diet

Salty hands

Non-member
Hi,

I acquired a lawn mower blenny as a hitchhiker with some coral/live rock. It's a great fish with a ton of personality. Unfortunately it won't eat anything but microalgae, which is now in short supply in this tank. I've tried Formula 2, algae pellets, nori but with no luck. This fish went from having a fat belly to now a sunken one. He actively tries to clean algae from the glass and rocks but obviously isn't getting enough. Does anyone have any advice before I have to find one of my favorite fish a new home?

Common problem with new LMBs

I had luck with taking a piece of LR and attaching the Nori to LR with an elastic then placing the LR in a secluded place.

Mine also liked Nori, keep a good eye on him as they can get thin quick if not eating enough and I think are "easy prey" for internal parasites.

This guy has been around since March. My Purple Tang would likely out-compete the LMB for any nori attached to LR. I've tried to hand feed nori without success.

This guy has been around since March. My Purple Tang would likely out-compete the LMB for any nori attached to LR. I've tried to hand feed nori without success.

This is why I said secluded, ry placing it right aruond where he hangs out then just leave the tank alone no noise or distractions. Once he starts eating the tang will not out compete him. Most likely your purple tang will start showing up with hickies, if the LMB starts to eat.

lmb

My LMB seaweed salad (green marine algae) from the veggie clip. He will sit on the clip and finish the strip of algae. If I put in frozen brine shrimp, he`s the first one to grab a chunk. My 4 year old loves him because he comes to the top of the tank and lets him pat himon the head. :D

Mine eats everything. He didn't at first but I mix frozen Mysis shrimp in a shot glass to thaw with some garlic juice (Garlic Xtreme). Him, and every other fish in my tank, go nuts for it. After he started eating that I've never had a problem with him. He eats flake, pellets, and other veggies I put in the tank.

I have had two LMB, the first from the get go would eat everything and anything I fed the tank, had him three years or so, my second one would eat nothing I lost him in a month or so.

Jim

I had one in QT for 4 weeks after I had an ich outbreak in my display.
He would eat everything also,especially shrimp pellets.The QT had a really bad green water algae bloom and I couldn't see the fish for a while.Then I noticed my LMB on the bottom all bloated.I've read that if they don't get enough green and eat other stuff they can get bloat.

Back