lawnmower blenny question

Blueflu1

The Acan Reaper!
I wanted to get a lawnmower blenny, but I suspect that it wouldn't get along with my mandarin because they are both bottom dwellers and similar size/shape. am I correct in this assumption or would they get along.

They are evil! Most blennies are. They grow to huge sizes, put "hicky" makes on the sides of your fish. I had a bi-color blennies that was a complete terror to any peaceful goby I put in the tank. Ask Bill Nichols, his put a huge hicky mark on the side of his foxface, a fish 3x bigger than him. But your results may vary because fish are individuals.

I got a lawnmower blenny and mandarin in a 54 croner and they seem to have no problem with each other. I put the mandarin in 1 week after the blenny.

The only problem I have with my lawnmower is that he likes to sit on everything. His favorite is my Squamosa clam. He bothers no one unless one of the tangs start bugging him. He then will give a nice hickey.

I have a Starry Blenny (similar to the LMB) and a Mandarin. No issues. He does like to sit on my very large Squamosa but with no ill effects. Now a Bi-Color Blenny on the other hand. He destroyed 5 (count them FIVE!!!) Blue Croceas in my tank before I could catch him.

Do your research. LMB require a well etablished tank and even if you find one that eats prepared foods their mortality rate isn't that great. (Did I say that right?) Ok well they die off easily! :D I've been through several over the years until I finally gave up and tried the Starry. Much hardier and will eat my hand if I'm not careful.

YMMV

Last edited:
i have a lawnmower blenny and hes a funny fish he used to hide in and empty snail shell you could only see hid little head slicking out. he is growing pretty quickly but he dosent hurt any of the other fish but he sometimes is a little agressive tord my coral banded.

Had a starry blenny for about 2 years, but he recently disappeared....

He was the character of the tank, and would sit on my squamosa clam or the nori clip and swing in the current....quite funny.

I'll consider another one once I see where I am after my breakdown/move later this summer

Ray makes a great point they can be tough to get acclimated to tank food. I had a much easier time getting my starry blennies to. Same great personalities as the LMB, and they left hickies on my Hippo tang just like the LMB. I never had any issues with mandarins and my LMB or Strry blennies.

They are great fish though. My LMB used to dance in front of the glass until my dog Sunny would come over then he would swin into the rock work. Used to drive the dog crazy.

My Starry blennies used to sit in my Derasa Clam and watch us eat diner.

One thing to note they are pretty agressive towards other fish who enter their territory.

I've never had an aggressive lawnmower blenny.....other than it didn't like the red lip blenny who eventually disappeared. My mandarin has had no issues but it could be that there is enough room in a 120....

I have a LMB in my 120, not agressive to the mandorin or any other fish.
Eats from my hand or tha algae clip as well as cleaning the glass & rock quite well. He's about 5" or twice the size of my mandorin and seems to enjoy the company of his other tank mates, as others have said he will perch on whatever he likes and stay for quite a while but seems to have no ill effects.
Good luck
Jay

I have lawnmower blenny and a manderin and no problems at all... The lawnmower was one of the first fish I ever got because of the hair algea and never had an issue with him not eating.. He has a very fat belly!!!! The only problem I have is once and a while he likes to throw a lil sand on some of the coral frags on the bottom of my tank.. as far as mean He never bothered my clowns or manderin.. He is very comical and I love him..

I have had a couple of LMB and they were nothing but trouble,aggressive to other fish and nipped at LPS and SPS.
I have avoided all blennies since until recently when i picked up a tailspot blenny who has been a model citizen so far.
They have the same interesting character as the other blennies but as mentioned stay smaller and don't seem to have the aggression issues.

I have had a couple of LMB and they were nothing but trouble,aggressive to other fish and nipped at LPS and SPS.
I have avoided all blennies since until recently when i picked up a tailspot blenny who has been a model citizen so far.
They have the same interesting character as the other blennies but as mentioned stay smaller and don't seem to have the aggression issues.

Where did you find a tailspot?? I would ask at stores and they would look at me funny.. only saw it on liveaquaria, same thing with halloween hermits too tho..

I have a starrie blenny and he has a great personality and I love his colors! However, since adding him to the tank I have not had the ability to add another since he is so territorial. He has killed 3 fish by swimming after him and smacking them on the glass as well as giving them really good chases around the tank. Has yet to touch anything in my tank and eats like a pig. I guess each fish is different and has it's own personality. I will be tearing the tank down soon to remove him:rolleyes:

My lawnmower bleny is not a herbivore...I've watched him systematically kill all the snails in my tank. He flips them over and pecks away till he gets the juicy morsel inside.. He loves meaty flakes and once in awhile he even picks algae off the rock...LOL.. I've got him in an aggressive tank w/ damsels and he holds his own. I've watched him battle it out w/ damsels as well as a royal gramma. BTW he didnt learn his eating habits from the damsels, he was that way when i got him....

Hmmm. Sounds like it is hit or miss with the LMB. I was looking for one to get a smaller fish that might eat algae. I don't I will risk it though. Hate to have a casualty in my tank. Thanks for the opinions.

Back