LED dimmer question

WoodRiverTroutBum

Non-member
I was out running some errands today and although i am going to get a controller for my LEDs I decided to pick up a couple POTS and a power supply. I only bought one power supply because I most likely wont have a use for 1 let alone 2 after I get my controller. I figure at the very least I will be able to test the LEDs one driver at a time and be able to adjust my drivers to the correct mA. is it possible to control both drivers with both POTS on one 9v power supply or would the voltage be divided between both giving 4.5v to each set?

don't quote me on it but if you're running meanwells I believe they consider 10v = 100% brightness, so 4.5v would throw off ~45%? I guess if you crank up the internal pot to the correct mA like you say it could work, I wonder if the internal pot goes high enough though...

Doesn't it totally matter if your running dimmable or non-dimmable drivers? Might be over me head, but I have 2 non-dimming meanwell and am curious now if I could regulate them in that manner?

I use one power supply for dimming two meanwells. I am building one right now that will control 4. I built 4 circuits that r adjustable from around 1.5 volts to 10 volts and i power the circuit using a single 12v power supply.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1338170318076.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1338170318076.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 90
Your making it too simple here. Voltage is not the only key. Amperage and watts are a big factor. Also, how you wire it. Series or parallel. This could be a very in depth conversation. What exactly do you want to know? If your drivers are ran in parallel, they will get the exact same voltage. If they are in series, they will get half voltage. But, that doesn't end it. Now you have wattage and amperage to go with. Give a quick search on google on volts/amps/watts and their correlation.

If nothing else, the amps is what would hold me back. I am guessing a 1 amp power supply running 2 drivers would only give the drivers 500mA each. I wanted to run both drivers separately, each with their own pot but with only 1 power supply. The supply I have is 9v and 1amp. I ended up just testing them individually and unhooked everything when I was done. Everything went perfect and the drivers are adjusted, now I just need to get my controller. I also need to get my sump built so I can mount the lights hangers for good! Was awesome seeing some light in the new tank!

Back