LED fixture from Jays

iandawson

Non-member
I am seriously looking into LED for my 34 Red Sea Max and want people's opinions (mainly those who run them or have done some serious research).

Specifically, Jay's has a fixture for $349 that I am considering. Jay said he gets better PAR readings from this light than even his 400w halide. The fixture is 119w (119 total LED's 1/2 blue and white.)
Does anyone have this specific fixture? (I believe this is the same one that you can find online for around the same price or a little higher).

My main question are: what happens if an LED goes out? Can you replace individual ones? What are the PAR readings/how good is the penetration of light compared to MH?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

ive been looking into LEDS, i found maxspect which seem great, they have alot of diffrent kinds and they claim their "maxspect G1 60w" is compared to a 75 watt metal halide light.

as for replaceing leds im not sure, i just know they last a long time.....

i've only been looking into maxspect because one of their units is 7x7x2 which will fit nicely into my fluval edge.

If I were you I would wait and save to get a 3w led fixture, 120w is good but not 1w leds

i just converted my red sea max to led's and it is awesome. used the stock hood and it looks like it always did everything is inside the hood. got led's from rapid led and the heatsink from heatsink usa everything for around $225

Reef Koi has 1W fixtures for $300 I believe. I have been looking into this for my lps tank, but I think I'm going with the fixture from Reef Filtration. It has all 3W LED's, and sounds like he's done some homework on these. I think they are about $450 ea. These however, are not dimmable. For close to the same price, you can DIY with a kit from Reef LED Lights, which you can customize the ratio of blue/white, the optics(focus/spread of beams), the colors are dimmable seperately, and they will all be Cree LED's, which put out a lot more than the other 2 major brands being used(Bridgelux, Phillips)
R2R has a few threads going, and links to these companies.

Back