LED suggestions

ckac13

Non-member
So ive searched a million different places, and still cant seem to make up my own mind. Id like to switch to LEDs for my 75 gallon. Anyone have any suggestions on a setup they like? Im just looking for opinions, maybe a picture or 2 of how they look. Building my own isnt out of the question either, i just cant decide!

thanks in advance!

I recently picked up a coral from a member here (Pesto) who has the Super Blue AI Sol setup. Was absolutely beautiful.

I plan on getting an AI Sol Super blue as well. Love the color (from what I've seen), controllability, and can't beat that they're made right here in the USA.

IMO, the Radion is way, way, WAY overpriced for what it is. Some people love them, but you'd never get me to pay $750 for one.

Then there are the cheaper fixtures, which I'm sure do the job, but many of the cheap fixtures don't dim, aren't controllable, etc. I'd rather pay a bit extra for those features.

In the end, I've found that building my own (building it the right way with quality materials and making it look really nice) would cost almost as much as buying an AI. So I'm saving myself the trouble and just buying a pre-fab unit.

I recently bought 2x Apollo Reef SolarBlast Dimmable LED fixtures and I'm liking them a lot. If you don't have a controller you'll need one with these lights; I bought the Apex Jr. and Apex VDM at the same time. Joe at Apollo is very helpful and responsive. Pictures are in my build thread.

Depends on what kind of stuff you keep. Unless you're keeping light hungry SPS, you can probably get away with 2 units on a 4' tank, at least temporarily. You'll just have to place them with the long sides running the same way as the long side of the tank and put them a little higher above the water.

MrX (check out his build thread to see pics) has 2 apollo LED units over his 120 and gets nice coverage.

ETA: I see he beat me to the punch :D

O cool, just saw his setup. Im assuming id be able to get away with 2 on a 75 then. Thanks for the help, this was exactly what i was looking for!!

Make sure the LED you are buying has optics on them. Optics make big difference.

Back