Left RODI on, flood neighbors condo

Bobbofin

Non-member
I left my RODI on overflowed a bucket and flooded my neighbors condo with about 15 gallons of water. Good thing we both have home owners insurance. The ceiling is cracked and stained. I feel like a jerk. I put the hose line in the bucket set my cell phone alarm then feel asleep.

We've all overflowed the RO/DI, but this really sucks. Unfinished basements are way easier to clean up. At least your home owners insurance is going to be useful.

How, may I ask, do you put a float switch on RO/DI Filter? Would this be fully mechanical? Float switch is connected to solenoid valve? How much pressure should the solenoid valve handle in order to hold back RO/DI water?

i over flow the bucket almost half the time..... i always forget it :( thank god the room under me isn't all messed up. its or room but still...
That really stinks! well that's what insurance is for i guess..

How, may I ask, do you put a float switch on RO/DI Filter? Would this be fully mechanical? Float switch is connected to solenoid valve? How much pressure should the solenoid valve handle in order to hold back RO/DI water?

I just have a Kent mechanical plastic float shut off on my top-off barrel.But I also use a small ball valve to shut the water off.This helps so I can make a lot of ro/di instead of small amounts.This is suppose to make the membrane last longer.My ro/di is in my washroom upstairs and the top-off is 25 ft. away down in the basement.

I always over flow and did something similar when I first moved into my apartment. Now I set my 5 gal bucket in a 10 gal brute with a hole in the side. If the bucket overflows the brute catches then it empties through the hole and down the drain it goes.

That happened to us last week. I don't usually forget but it happens. So we bought a longer piece if tubing so we can set the water bucket in the bath tub and if it overflows it just goes down the drain.

I use the Kent float valve too. It's simple and effective. I mean assuming your RODI supports auto-shutoff. Otherwise I'm not sure if you need to get your own ASO valve. Maybe somebody else can chime in on that part.

Maann...that bites!A mechanical float is cheap and effective at preventing floods,it will not shut off the ro/di but will at least stop the vessel from filling up.

It's under my sink, dual home/reef. I have a 4' length of tubing off the DI with the shut off valve. I usually put the bucket in the sink, put the hose in it so if it overflows it goes down the drain. There was dishes in the sink so I put the bucket on the floor, set the alarm, feel asleep, slept through the alarm and was awaken by my phone ringing and a neighbor banging on my door at 2:00am. She's cool. She understands it was an accident. Her insurance company has Serv-Pro coming Monday. There a 3' crack in her dinning room ceiling, stains on her kitchen ceiling and a few inches of sheetrock damage. Looks like I'm paying a $250 deductable. That was an expensive nap!

Wow thats rough, but i think we have all done it at some point or another. Good luck!

it could have been so much worse, esp if the neighbor was a dink. Be happy you're getting off so 'cheap'

It's a good thing the neighbor woke up or was awake to get it shut off. Imagine if it had run all night?!?

As can be seen, a common problem. IMO every ro/di unit should have an aso valve and float to prevent this problem. Shuts production and waste water off until the water level drops. Not recommended to use as a direct top off to a sump!

Back