Lets the Madness Continue

this is me

I like turtles
BRS Member
Tank will be here Saturday. Red tape outline is the tank size. Will be another Elos System.
Stay tune!
original.jpg

Full walk around, that's going to look amazing. Can't wait to see it come together.

I have system 70 running now at my parents house.
I'll be setting up the 160XL in my house and move the content in the 70 to the new tank when it's ready.

That is going to be one sweet tank.....is that the planet fixture?

I've had success from MH/VHO or MH/T5 combo for my taste of SPS and clams. I just can't get away from MH.
That's a 38" Planet II 2x250W DE MH with 4x39W T5s. The two MH are at the ends of the fixture so it will light up that tank pretty nicely(I hope)
I also have a 72" Geismann Spectra with 3x250W SE with 4x80W T5s. But this fixture is obviously longer than the tank so it's a back up plan right now.

Last edited:
Very sweet that outta do you well. Can wait to see it - I got some frags for ya!

That hard wood floor is beautiful. What color is the stand?

Thanks Bryan on the offer. I'll be looking for SPS frags.

The elos stand is white on the side but you can change the color of the cabinet doors. It's a mocha brown color like my floor but I'm not sure if that will be the final color or I will change to grey that matches the light fixture and the wall.

I've had success from MH/VHO or MH/T5 combo for my taste of SPS and clams. I just can't get away from MH.
That's a 38" Planet II 2x250W DE MH with 4x39W T5s. The two MH are at the ends of the fixture so it will light up that tank pretty nicely(I hope)
I also have a 72" Geismann Spectra with 3x250W SE with 4x80W T5s. But this fixture is obviously longer than the tank so it's a back up plan right now.

Wow, electrical meter must spin like a frisbee :p

Wow, electrical meter must spin like a frisbee :p

Honestly, if you're watching the electric meter, just forget about reefing!
That 20$ increase per month is totally worth much more than looking at an unsatisfactory tank every day.

Is that an Elos fixture if so I can't find it, I'm thinking of going back to MH and looking for a 36" with T-5's. The choices are not as many as a few years ago everything is LED.

Thanks,

Jim

Is that an Elos fixture if so I can't find it, I'm thinking of going back to MH and looking for a 36" with T-5's. The choices are not as many as a few years ago everything is LED.

Thanks,

Jim

Most places I saw them listed showed them as discontinued. There might be a new model out to replace them but I'm not sure.

Honestly, if you're watching the electric meter, just forget about reefing!
That 20$ increase per month is totally worth much more than looking at an unsatisfactory tank every day.

I agree but with two tanks with multiple 250W MH I would think it would be a little more than just $20 a month. Wasn't commenting on the electricity cost being a problem if you can afford it's just the amount you would use.

I have a 40 gallon breeder. I'd love to have MH again but I'd want two 70w and 2 T5 cause it's shallow, only doing LPS, Zoas, limiting SPS, no Acros. I'd be willing to gut my 36" Current Sundial to build it out of it but 70W bulbs really are not available anymore in 14k and the ballasts are hard to come by.

Last edited:
I agree but with two tanks with multiple 250W MH I would think it would be a little more than just $20 a month. Wasn't commenting on the electricity cost being a problem if you can afford it's just the amount you would use.

I have a 40 gallon breeder. I'd love to have MH again but I'd want two 70w and 2 T5 cause it's shallow, only doing LPS, Zoas, limiting SPS, no Acros. I'd be willing to gut my 36" Current Sundial to build it out of it but 70W bulbs really are not available anymore in 14k and the ballasts are hard to come by.

Don't get too caught up with the wattage marketing with LED. If LED works for you, then use it. But don't get all caught up with the wattage draw that inhibit you from getting your reef to where you want.

Here's the math. Duty cycle signify the power you set your LED fixture. Most people like to ramp up and down there LEDs but 50% is a fair number. If you bump this up close to 80%, the cost saving gets diminished pretty quickly.
Also, I'm not too sure if 3 Radion will power this tank. Might also need 3 mitras units.
My KWH is ~$0.15 for distribution and supply. Your provider might varies.
original.jpg

Back