LFS an qt of new live stock

beckbrass

Make it fun.
Does any one know which LFS, if any, qt incoming livestock before sales? I have had great luck buying from some online vendors that do but a few times when buying locally I have head problems with death in the first few weeks, that's part of the reason I purchased on line.

Unique aquaria in Boston used to...they used to put copper in certain tanks for fish but now i just believe they use hypo; better then nothing but i still bought a few fish with some small amounts of ich on them so i always QT everything. Other then that i don't know of any

Oceans in glass in Salem I believe qt with copper think it might be on some and not others I would ask. Half my fish are from there with no sign of disease. I do still qt for like a month or so though. Should always qt yourself not worth losing all your fish in your dt jmo

Krystal clear in auburn does. For a week I think.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

yea krystal clear qt fish...they qt my sohal tang for 2 weeks before i got to take it home......btw its one of the most cleanest lfs i have ever been to.!

FWIW I've never heard of any LFS or online supplier that actually TREATS all fish.

Some will keep them for a QT period and make sure that they appear healthy, some will use parital hyposalinity (not low enough to kill off infections, but enough to make life harder for the parisites). QT time generally makes for healthier fish, but it doesn't completely prevent low level parisite infections. Add to that, when we talk about QT time, an awful lot of places will QT for a period of time, but will also have new fish coming and going from those systems all the time or at every week or two.

No one can promise that all the fish they sell are truely clean, and I bet that if you talk to our good LFS owners they will tell you the same thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know both skipton in boston and ocean in glass in Salem/nh uses copper in their tank
But fish come and go weekly for them so buying from them are not necessary parasite free. You have to qt them after you bought them just to make sure
Or you could ask them to hold the fish for you for two weeks in their tank if you dont have a qt setup.
I had almost 10 fish died during my first 6 months into the hobby. Since I learned how to qt them. I have not had one dead in the last 3 years.

Last edited:
Pretty sure that is only for their divers den livestock. You pay a premium to get that service.

that is what I was thinking also, it costs a LFS (or any online vendor) money to hold, store and quarantine their fish............This cost would ultimately get passed onto the consumer......................Would the average consumer pay 25% more? for a qt fish, maybe, maybe not........

Well actually on cost there are a few ways to look at it. If the store qts they would have less people come back with dead fish and want a refund. I know some stores don't offer any kin of doa policy some have a day and some have more. If people had good experiences with live fish from a store I think they would be more likely to come back. I could see why they would not want to bother as it takes time but if it's part of there process it builds a lot of confidence in there product.

On the cost thing I asked a LFS how much a certain fish would be as they said $250 fresh out of bag from shipping. I went on line an got te same fish for $90. I actually got 2 of them on line from divers den and got another fish so it was free shipping all of this for less then the cost of one fish at the LFS.

Last edited:
that is what I was thinking also, it costs a LFS (or any online vendor) money to hold, store and quarantine their fish............This cost would ultimately get passed onto the consumer......................Would the average consumer pay 25% more? for a qt fish, maybe, maybe not........

If it could offset the cost of keeping a qt running at home 24/7 while stocking it could work.
But,there's still no garentee.

I still QT even if the LFS QT's. I still QT even if I get a fish from someone else's established system. More for my own confirmation. Depending on the source and condition though, that'd determine the degree of treatment I'd do. Whether it is a simple prazipro run with observation only, or something more.

@charged45: When I use cupramine, I like to run two courses of treatment. But it depends what I am treating. For an ich outbreak, I'd do 8 weeks min. Copper not necessarily being a part of that entire time period, unless the ich outbreak is bad enough to warrant it. A single course (~2 weeks) + observation time should be ok though if you are treating an otherwise healthy fish without ich.

Those who QT use copper for the duration? 4 week period?

By definition QT is QT and treatment is treatment. That said people use the terms loosely so don't assume anything. If someone says QT I would ask them exactly what they mean. Personally I Treat any new fish I bring home, but not everyone does the same.

Oh and BTW, Treatment could mean treat for ick, other parisites, internal parisites, bacterial infections exct. When I said I treat all new fish I meant Copper or hypo to treat for ick, and other treatments if the fish seem to need them.

I aggree all new fish should be put into a qt set up before going into your main tank to insure you don't infest the tank with something. I just like to shop from some one that has atleast tried to insure the fish/coral is healthy and tried to do something to stop/slow the spread of desease.

Here is live aquaria's procedure. Not sure if it's in depth enough to kill all but seems better then most.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/general/general.cfm?general_pagesid=425

Just wondered if any of the LFS did anything close to that.

LA from what I've looked into has the best QT and fish treatment regiment of them all...

Also, I see a lot of peeps "this place qt'd for a week, this other place for 2 weeks"... Unless they run a full 4 weeks or longer with proper meds and treatment, it's all for nothing... A one week QT is a complete waste of time...

Back