Lifespan of C. retrogemma (red/brown nuisance flatworm)

Matt L.

Non-member
Hi. I have an interesting question: does any of the reef experts know what the lifespan of the nuisance red/brown flatowrm is? In particular, what would it be under PC lighting? I have searched the web, and not been able to find an answer to this question.

Here is why I am asking. As I am moving my tank this weekend, I have the unique opportunity to separate corals from the display tank. I know I sound like such a bad reef keeper, but my Acropora sp. also came down with the red mites.

I have two options: 1) treat the entire tank with interceptor, or 2) remove the Acropora spp. corals and place them in another tank and treat them there, thereby avoiding the addition of chemicals to my main tank. However, with most of the SPS corals gone, why not move them all, leaving just a few LPS and softies? In this case, I wouldn't need the MH lighting. I know that nuisance flatworms thrive in a high lighting environment, and so I wonder if, perhaps in 4 weeks, they would die off in the main tank, with perhaps the help of some FWE. I have had great success with FWE, but always been unable to get rid of the last bits.

I'd like to point out that my population is in control now, and has been for ~6 months without the use of additional FWE. I just am wondering if I have the opportunity to truly finish them off and then not worry about giving them to other people,

Matt:cool:

Scott,

I tried to find it by searching the Reefkeeping Magazine past issues, but couldn't find it. Do you know which issue?

Matt:cool:

Back