Light cycles

johnnyb

Non-member
I am wondering if any one has ever thought about or tested changing light times for improved coral growth. I had metal halides and switched to ai sol blues. My metal halides had 3 250 watt and 2 150 watt bulbs along with night time LEDs. I hated the way halides came on and went off. Aside from the loud boom that sounded like the lights going on and off at Fenway park the sudden switch in light was drasitic. But for some unknown reason I installed me new LEDs and despite having the ability to fade them in and out I left them with sudden switches. I did lose a few corals with the switch and a few were doing less than stellar. Some things I am convinced I will never be able to keep under led. But a couple of weeks ago I started messing with the light cycles so I could see my tanks under some light on days besides Sunday. I leave early and get home late so I started timing it so the deep blues that are on alone from
10 to 4 am would then gradually add white steadily up till 10 am when they reach 64 percent white 54 percent blue and 44 percent deep blue.( I like that color appearance durin the day) then at 4 pm the gradual cycle down til 10 pm begins. The. 4 percent deep blue for the moon effect. The percentage didn't change and the LEDs didn't change only the taper on and off. Since doing this I have found many things seem to be growing better and color looking better. I am just wondering if anyone else has any thoughts on benefits of tapering.

Back