Peoples light cycles

I think it comes down to how much par your lights actually put into the tank. I've read that the par some of these reefs get is 2000+ on the surface and 500 at 60'. So if you are getting 500 on the surface, a longer period might be beneficial, whereas if you are getting 1500, a shorter period might be better.

I think it comes down to how much par your lights actually put into the tank. I've read that the par some of these reefs get is 2000+ on the surface and 500 at 60'. So if you are getting 500 on the surface, a longer period might be beneficial, whereas if you are getting 1500, a shorter period might be better.

Good point, What i was referring to with shorter light cycles was for pretty darn intense lighting (like most SPS freaks have). If you're lighting isn't that intense to begin with, then a longer period might be better.

From what I understand, on a natural ree within an hour or two of sunup the par levels already far surpass what we can replicate at home, nevermind high noon. There is also far more than 5.5 hrs of daylight, prob closer to 10-12 hrs plus. In general, I think between 8-12 hrs of halides/daylights is sufficient, my actinics are on 'til late for my viewing and I don't feel they would cause any photoinhibition by themselves, but they do provide the specific spectrum of light that is left down deeper as the ocean filters out the other colors first, so I feel it may be beneficial to run them during the day along with the white lights.

here is my lighting schedule.
Mixed reef with a good amount of SPS corals and 2 clams.

10-3:30 Actinic
3:30-9 MH
9-10 Actinic

keeping a 5.5 HR MH schedule helps to keep my electric bill down.

here is my lighting schedule.
Mixed reef with a good amount of SPS corals and 2 clams.

10-3:30 Actinic
3:30-9 MH
9-10 Actinic

keeping a 5.5 HR MH schedule helps to keep my electric bill down.

Thanks to all that posted. I was thinking the same thing, just trying to save acouple bucks. I have the lights on all day, and noone there to see them. So I figured why have the atinics on if noone is there to enjoy them. Then I only had one timer so the halides, and the pc were on the same schedule. I didnt see the point. My tank is mostly softies, and lps. I have a couple sps, and a clam, other than the clam I wasnt going to run the halides for 12hrs. Well I am going to see how this works.

Thanks again Derek

On cycle times:
36" actinic t5 on @ 8:45
Actinic leds on @ 9:00
Mixed actinic/white leds on @9:20
3 48" T5's on 10:00 1x 10k,1xactinic white,1x460nm on @ 10:00
MH on @ 12:30 2x 150 w DE 10k AB's

Off cycle times:
mh's off @ 6:30
t5's off @ 8:30
mixed leds off @8:50
Actinic leds off @ 9:20