Lighting dilemma

Docstach

Non-member
Well the blue channel on my old "black box" LED is dying. It has lasted longer than expected and has done a good job. Now I am trying to decide what to replace it with. My problem is that the black box I had reconfigured (IE added some warm white and red) to cover the sectioned off part of my aquarium that is suppose to function as a display refugium. However, over the last 6 months all my macro algae has pretty much withered away and now there is more coral in there than algae. Over the other parts of the aquarium (6' 125g) is two budget reefbreeder units.

Option 1: would be to get a reefbreeder photon V2 to put over my middle section and move the budget RB LED over to the side. The budget does have "full spectrum" so has a little extra red if I ever can get my macro growing again. The photon V2 seems to have better/5W LEDs which may provide some benefit as I have several SPS near the bottom of the tank. Potential negatives are that it is a little expensive (at least for me) and seems to have way more Blue than white. Currently, the units are roughly 50:50 and I like to keep them at equal power. I am worried to get enough intensity it will be too blue for my liking.

Option 2: would be a VIPARSPECTRA Timer 165W LED unit, which is basically the current budget RB units I have. While it is only listed at 110W, it does have closer to a 50:50 blue to white (including some neutral 6.4K white) I tend to like. Several people on reef central have seemed to have a decent experience with them, but otherwise I don't know much about them.

http://www.viparspectra.com/goods.php?id=62

Option 3:?

Last edited:
Option 3 is I have many new and used led to choose from. Including photon V2.
Drop by and I will show you the options

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back