Like a Deer in the Headlights

NateHanson

Non-member
Isn't it great when some trick you've heard of really really works. :)

I'd been trying to fish out my occelaris clowns, but no luck. So tonight, I was feeling too full of fish and chips to sleep, so I got up and decided to try and suprise the clowns with a bright flashlight, as I have heard suggested here by BRS members.

Wow. It completely paralyzed them for a minute or so. I think I could have picked them out by hand!

Anyways. They're now hanging out in a cage in the sump. Awaiting their next adventure. (They're going to AA tomorrow, unless someone wants to buy them - they don't host BTAs :().

Ok, now it's very much time to go to bed. Just thought I'd share.

Nate

Just curious, You say the anemone wont host the clowns....Have you tried a picture of a clown in an anemone taped to the glass...I have heard that alot of people have had a great success on this.

The way they I did it was when I first got a RBTA I drip acclimated it in a gallon jug and took the clown fish out of the tank and before you knew it BINGO The clowns had a new host.

I dunno Ryan, these guys had been in my care for about 18 months, and have had access to three different BTAs. They're terminal idiots.

Eric, I have been trying the picture thing, but they seem pretty clueless about it. I've also tried chasing them into the anemone, on the advice of a few people here, but they have absolutely no idea what that pretty wavey red thing is in the middle of the tank. You're idea about putting the clowns in the bag with the anemone is a good one. I'll have to remember that one.

Occelaris can be wierd on hosting. We have a pair in the tank for almost a year and they would not go near the anemone. Then one day they just fell into the anemone, now I can't get them out. I just picked up a blue carpet for our pair of saddlebacks. They were trying to host before I even got it all the way into the tank.

TR occelaris I have found are unlikely to host in a BTA but are very likely to host in GSP, Frogspawn, colt coral or anything else you dont want them to host in.

jAKE: my TR ocellaris are indeed hosting on a large toadstool... at first the toadstool didn't like it too much, but after a few months it's gotten used to it and maintains good polyp extension even with the clowns inside.

Nuno

I wonder if the toadstool looks to the false percs more like the magnifica, and other natural host anemones.

Anyways, I got a pair of pink skunks today at AA. Joe had to dig them out of a BTA, so as long as they didn't forget what it looked like on the car ride home, I think I'll finally have some hosting clowns. :)

Nate

My trio of A. ocellaris at work also host in my large mushroom leather from the Solomon Islands, FWIW.

My new pink skunks spent the night tightly tucked into the RBTA. :D Only their dorsal stripes were visible.

On the other hand, my wife thinks I'm a traitor to our first pair of fish. :eek:

Back