Lionfish...?

Scuba_Dave

Non-member
So, the wife has wanted a lionfish ever since she saw one.
My 125g will become FOwLR & softie corals when I setup the big tank (TBP)
But I'm not planning a Lionfish for the 125g, as I do not want to be restricted on the size fish I can put in the tank (IE all fish would have to be SO large that the Lionfish would think fuggedaboutit).
I'm looking at a separate tank - bowfront, that will be tied into the same system as the 125g

My issue/concern would be with feeding, as I don't want to try to keep something without the proper feeding/care.
This would probably be setup next year, possibly in the new sunroom; against the house away from the sun as much as possible. Only place to put it, unless it also goes in th great room. Which due to the distance would mean connecting to the big tank setup

Who has had a Lionfish? Good, bad, ideas etc?

The lionfish is a messy eater, and has a lot of waste, so it might be a source of nitrates for your reef if you plumb them together.

Definately check out FMarini's articles/posts on lionfish care at RC -- he has some excellent insights...

I agree with Moe about the waste, although it depends a little on which lionfish you go with -- a big adult P. volitans is very different from one of the smaller species in terms of biomass/waste...
Besides, doesn't that justify adding a few clams to "use" up the nitrogen ? :D
As long as you have a good skimmer I don't think there'd be a major issue (especially in a self-described "FOwLR & softie corals" system ).

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back