little killers watch out!!

ffsteve

The tool man
I bought a maxima clam from Pacific East Aquaculture during the ct ffm. checked it out very well brought it home qt it and put it in my main tank.
well it died a week later. some one on here told me to look for parymid snails on it. well i didn't find anything on it, in it, or around it. now the only thing i have put in my main tank in the past 3 months was that clam and my hands and i know i didn't have any on me!!. Well i have lost 6 turbo snails in the past week. thought not much about it. well this morning surprize surprize, i see them on one of my snails.

so what eats them, how do you get rid of them, and how long do the live with out anything to eat?

IMG_0742.JPG
IMG_0743.JPG

i did take out all my snails that i could reach and washed them off and now are back in the qt tank

Do you think those pyramid snails came in on the clam from PEA ?

Do you have any wrasses in your tank ?

That's unfortunate. Was this the tahitian maxima? Or their cultured maxima. I got two cultered maxima from them and I dipped it in fresh water for 10 minutes and scrub the shells. Did not see any paramids.

Melanurus wrasse, some people claim that they are attacking their clams but they are most likely going after the pyramid snails. They should have a sand bed for them to sleep or hide in.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/joomla/index.php/current-issue/article/32-fish-profile-

Melanurus wrasse are known to nip and eventually eat clams. I have one, but wasn't for long, I pretty much had to drain the tank to get the wrasse out after seeing it rip a piece out of my clam mantle. I would never trust a melanurus if I'm keeping clams.

i did dip mine for just a few minutes then left it in the qt tank for a week. i didn't see any pyramids on it. and i was warned before hand by others that pyramids like to eat clams so watch out for them. That was from jay in nh when i bought my last clam 6 months ago (still going strong not a maxima)
would a sixline wrasse do the trick??

How about a pic of the wrasse? Not saying it cant happen but possible identification, the Halichoeres group can be very hard to ID.

I keep a Hoevens wrasse (Halichoeres melanurus) in my reef tank.
IME, it has been a model citizen, but as always, there are exceptions.

The yellow coris (Halichoeres chrysus) is another I've kept without issue.

They will attack any shrimp in the tank, so keep that in mind.

Melanurus wrasse are known to nip and eventually eat clams. I have one, but wasn't for long, I pretty much had to drain the tank to get the wrasse out after seeing it rip a piece out of my clam mantle. I would never trust a melanurus if I'm keeping clams.

The pics is not mine. Just a thread I read on RC.
Not every melenarus wrasse will nip on clam same as angel fish. Just some are worse than other. We can debate to death but some will say their fish is model citizen while others have issue with them.

I got one of the clams from PEA also. It was one of the big maxima clams. I just did a 2 hour drip acclimate, checked it out and put it in my tank. I have checked all my snails and they are fine and my clam looks awesome. I have not see any pyramidal snails. But I have a big fat six line so he may have eaten them all. He eats everything.

I also got a big maxima from them at the ffm and have not sseen any pyrimid snails but I have a 6line as well.. I didn't see any when I was acclimating or the fresh water dip but if u had them they were in there tank so everyone that got clams from them should keep a close eye

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

There is another species of snail (rissoid snail) that looks like a pyramidellid snail and can be found at the base of snail shells but is not in fact a pyramidellid snail and is considered a good hitchhiker (sediment and detritus eater). If you didn't find any on your clam shell then I'm not convinced that was the reason for its death. Clams are very sensitive and it might have been unhealthy or injured when you got it. If their foot gets injured there it is pretty much good as gone. Yes, wrasses (particularly the halichoeres family and some six-lines) will eat pyramidellid snails.

Last edited:
Back