live rock full of brown palys

Moose

Non-member
For the upgrade to the 50g we are wanting to use our live rock that is in the 90g, but a lot of them are covering in brown palys and I was wondering if there is a good way to get them off with out killing the rock? In the tank now I try to rotate the rocks upside down but those things grow like weeds and I pluck them too, needless to say they are still surviving and growing. Any suggestions?

Also, there is a red soft algae thats growing, its like a plant not cyano etc; and its also taking root to some of my hard corals, any suggestions on getting that off, you can not seem to just pluck this...

Thanks for the help

You can take the rock out of the tank and pull them off and scrub the rock with a metal brush, but be very careful. They contain the 2nd most deadly toxin in the world, so wear gloves, and a face shield. Before you put it back in the tank, you should rinse the area with boiling water to kill off any of the toxin that is on the rock. It can crash your tank if you don't, this toxin is nothing to fool around with.

I would not rinse it in boiling water. I spent two days in the ICU because of that, and the water I was using was only hot water from the tap. I was cleaning some LR and there were 4 or 5 brown palys that I had scrubbed off and when I rinsed it; bam, my sinuses dried out in seconds, started to cough, and had trouble breathing. The doctors had no clue the first trip to the ER. Went back the next day with info I had printed out and they admitted me. Two days in the ICU, released and another week before I felt anywhere near close to normal. Do a search on google, there is an article on how a guy poisoned himself, his wife, and their dog becase of boiling LR with brown palys on it. Sorry if it seems like I am rambling here, but I do not want to see anyone else go through what I went through.

If it were me, i'd just sell the rock, and replace it given how cheap the rock would be to replace, and how cheap the paly would be to replace. I'm in the same dilemma myself, minus i'm not trying to cycle a tank.

Take out your chisel and hammer, chisel all the paly off and toss them.

Leave it out side for a few days.. do one rock at a time

Fwiw I took some rock out of my display and some had pallies, I bleached the rock for 15 min, they are fine...

thanks for the info, I do have a carbon mask and eye wear, and do it in small sections with plucking and rinsing. This works to keep the toxins down and so far been okay, but in order to kill it all It would be an overload of it for the tank; was hoping for an easier way...

For the upgrade to the 50g we are wanting to use our live rock that is in the 90g, but a lot of them are covering in brown palys and I was wondering if there is a good way to get them off with out killing the rock? In the tank now I try to rotate the rocks upside down but those things grow like weeds and I pluck them too, needless to say they are still surviving and growing. Any suggestions?

Also, there is a red soft algae thats growing, its like a plant not cyano etc; and its also taking root to some of my hard corals, any suggestions on getting that off, you can not seem to just pluck this...

Thanks for the help

whoops just realized its upgrading to 150 not 50gallon

Back