Local Makers of Custom Tank Stands/Canopies?

FishyIdea

Non-member
I'm not looking for fine furniture. I want a simple, solid, well-finished set.

On a related note, is there another manufacturer of nice wood stands other than AGA, Perfecto, and Oceanic that one can order through LFS's?

Thanks,

Joe

A whole bunch of us reefers have been successfully building all our furniture. Its a lot of fun, and pretty darn rewarding too. All ya need is a screw gun, a table saw, maybe a compound miter saw if you're getting real crazy, and some stain or durable paint. Piece o' Cake :) (i may have used a few cans of krylon on version 1a and several subsequent versions of my DIY halide canopy)

This is my DIY stand and canopy for my 120g.

Joe Scavo took this pic right after we finish to setup the tank, about 7 months ago.

Attachments

• IMG_1875.jpg
    IMG_1875.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 224
Greg do you have plans for the hood? And I would love to know what color stain you used for the top. I got a hood I need to build for a cherry oceanic 135 as well.

Looks real good, in the picture it seems to match perfect. I like it and would love to steal some ideas.

As to not steal the thread, if you have plans you can start a new thread or send them in PM or email. Email aneille at beld dot net.

Thanks,

Kim

I may have enough skill/patience to build a canopy. So, all these posts about DIY are certainly of interest ot me. So, no flag on the thread-stealing. :)

The key is the off-the-rack canopies are not tall enough for MH. I want jawfish, so with a 6 inch substrate in a 90 that leaves 18" of water column. I figure the canopy needs to be 12" to end up with 250w mh 24" off the substrate. I believe that will allow me to keep a little of everything.

Back