Looking for Help Stocking my 29 Gallon Biocube Reef

Braden8558

Non-member
Hello everyone!

So right now I have a 29 gallon biocube tank. This is my first saltwater reef tank besides my original biocube, which I only had up for a short period of time. So I am trying to figure out what other kinds of fish I can add to this tank. Right now I have.....

-1 Maroon Clownfish (believed to be goldstripe variety)

-1 Six Line Wrasse

-1 Yellow Watchman Goby

I has a pair of maroons, but the smaller one passed away. My water has good parameters, however my pH is low, and I am trying to solve that problem. I will not be adding any new fish until I raise my pH up to the correct level. I know that the maroon will eventually outgrow this tank and I believe that I will give her to someone or sell her to the LFS once she gets to big or mean. The yellow watchman goby is nice, but he hides most of the day in the rockwork, and I will probably keep him depending on what my other options are. I would like to know what other fish would do well in there. Based on the fish right now, I am looking mainly towards semi-aggressive fish. I like dottybacks, and damsels are alright, but I would like something a little bit more, interesting or unique. I prefer fish that are not super boring and have enough activity that they are not boring. I have a wide range of coral and multiple anenomes, so I wouldn't want anything that has the possibility of nipping at corals. Only reef safe fish.

So what do you guys think? What are some unique fish that would fit my bill. I would also not like to spend too much, but please give me your opinions and suggestions!

Thank you very much,

Braden :fish7:

Here is the tank...

1397424249_tmp_IMG_20140413_164651.jpg

A dragonet is always a cool addition as long as you don't mind supplying pods for it to eat

I replied to your thread on another forum already, but I do think you will have trouble with any new addition given the Sixline and the Maroon. As mentioned, it will need to be something that can hold its own, or occupy a different part of the tank (which is tough in a 29 cube, and you already have a Goby). I mentioned Dottyback in your other thread. giving more thought to it, something like a small Blenny (I love Tailspots!) may work. They are not column swimmers, and generally bounce from rock to rock. The problem will be when it goes near the Maroon's territory. You will definitely need to re-home the Maroon as you are thinking. They do get quite large. How long have they both been in the tank?

Oh, and as others have said, your tank does look amazing!

A dragonet is always a cool addition as long as you don't mind supplying pods for it to eat

Thanks for the opinion. I agree but do you think it would work with my aggressive fish. I feel like they might be a bit to feisty and mean for the gentle mandarin goby.

Basic but a Royal Gramma?

Great looking tank buy the way!!

Thank you very much! I agree about the Royal Gramma, but may want something more unique for the tank. I feel like the gramma would work though and give some nice color and action to the tank.

I replied to your thread on another forum already, but I do think you will have trouble with any new addition given the Sixline and the Maroon. As mentioned, it will need to be something that can hold its own, or occupy a different part of the tank (which is tough in a 29 cube, and you already have a Goby). I mentioned Dottyback in your other thread. giving more thought to it, something like a small Blenny (I love Tailspots!) may work. They are not column swimmers, and generally bounce from rock to rock. The problem will be when it goes near the Maroon's territory. You will definitely need to re-home the Maroon as you are thinking. They do get quite large. How long have they both been in the tank?

Oh, and as others have said, your tank does look amazing!

Thank you for the kind words. I feel like a tailspot blenny would probably get killed or beat up by the maroons. For being so gentle, I don't think it would work. It is possible, but it seems risky. I think a bigger blennie like a midas would work, but I don't know if I want to go with one of those. Any other options? I wish there were some small puffer fish for a biocube!

Thank you for the kind words. I feel like a tailspot blenny would probably get killed or beat up by the maroons. For being so gentle, I don't think it would work. It is possible, but it seems risky. I think a bigger blennie like a midas would work, but I don't know if I want to go with one of those. Any other options? I wish there were some small puffer fish for a biocube!

Midas Blenny should really be in a larger tank. Although they don't use all of my 125, it does use about half of it. They really should be in a 3' long tank minimum IMO. If you can re-home the Maroon, you will have a lot more options. Until then, there really are not many I can see working out :/

Midas Blenny should really be in a larger tank. Although they don't use all of my 125, it does use about half of it. They really should be in a 3' long tank minimum IMO. If you can re-home the Maroon, you will have a lot more options. Until then, there really are not many I can see working out :/

I would like to keep the maroon, but thanks for the info about the midas blenny. I thought I would have more options. What is the minimum tank size for flame angels? I really like them and think they would do well with my fish right now. I however am worried that he/she will want more space to swim as I know they are active swimmers. I know that they have been done in a biocube before, but I would like other peoples opinions. Are there any better suited dwarf angels that would work? Any other ideas?

Thanks, Braden

I would like to keep the maroon, but thanks for the info about the midas blenny. I thought I would have more options. What is the minimum tank size for flame angels? I really like them and think they would do well with my fish right now. I however am worried that he/she will want more space to swim as I know they are active swimmers. I know that they have been done in a biocube before, but I would like other peoples opinions. Are there any better suited dwarf angels that would work? Any other ideas?

Thanks, Braden

LiveAquaria says 70 gallons. I have seen them in smaller tanks, but somewhere in the 50-70 range is correct for them honestly. They get up to 4", are actually pretty aggressive, and very active as you noted. The Cherub Angel is as small as they get I believe, and they still get to 3" and have a 55 gallon recommendation. I think a 40 gal may work for them, but not a Biocube. Besides that, none are reef safe. My Flame Angel constantly nips at my SPS corals.

Yellow Assessor would be nice, but may be bullied. They are reclusive though, which may work in its favor.

LiveAquaria says 70 gallons. I have seen them in smaller tanks, but somewhere in the 50-70 range is correct for them honestly. They get up to 4", are actually pretty aggressive, and very active as you noted. The Cherub Angel is as small as they get I believe, and they still get to 3" and have a 55 gallon recommendation. I think a 40 gal may work for them, but not a Biocube. Besides that, none are reef safe. My Flame Angel constantly nips at my SPS corals.

Yellow Assessor would be nice, but may be bullied. They are reclusive though, which may work in its favor.

I guess the flame angel is off the list. Bummer :( I really like those guys. I was suggested a fishers angel or cherub angelfish instead. What do you think about these? Could I do one of these and a royal gramma or one or the other? I would like to have both, but it would probably mean more water changes...which I'm not sure if I want.

I have been suggested mandarin gobies as well, but I know that they have very specific feeding requirements and I may be able to provide for one, if it ate frozen, however would it even work with my fish? From what I have seen they are pretty slow moving and timid fish, so would a maroon and six line beat him up and kill him?

Thank you for the suggestion of the yellow assesor, but I don't really love his appearance and I think I want something a little different. Is their any reef safe puffers that would be small enough for a 29 gallon biocube? I know that typically they might not eat corals just kill clean up crews. Is there any options though?

Thanks, Braden

I guess the flame angel is off the list. Bummer :( I really like those guys. I was suggested a fishers angel or cherub angelfish instead. What do you think about these? Could I do one of these and a royal gramma or one or the other? I would like to have both, but it would probably mean more water changes...which I'm not sure if I want.

I have been suggested mandarin gobies as well, but I know that they have very specific feeding requirements and I may be able to provide for one, if it ate frozen, however would it even work with my fish? From what I have seen they are pretty slow moving and timid fish, so would a maroon and six line beat him up and kill him?

Thank you for the suggestion of the yellow assesor, but I don't really love his appearance and I think I want something a little different. Is their any reef safe puffers that would be small enough for a 29 gallon biocube? I know that typically they might not eat corals just kill clean up crews. Is there any options though?

Thanks, Braden

Braden - I actually did comment on the Cherub Angel in my previous post :) As mentioned, I do not think a 29 Biocube is large enough for one. They are very active, aggressive little fish. If there were no other fish in the tank, then you could probably get away with it, but I wouldn't risk it. A Fisher's Angel is in the same boat. Although they are the smallest of the pygmy angels, they pack a mean punch. I certainly don't think a Royal Gramma would do well with a Sixline, Maroon and one of the Angels mentioned.

Avoid Mandarins in a Biocube. Too many have tried and too many have failed. You already have one fish that would compete for food with it (Sixline).

And no to the puffers, as there are none that are reef safe (even the small Toby Puffers will pick off your clean up crew). Size wise, a Biocube is still a little small for them anyways. Best for a larger FOWLER tank IMO, as they are messy eaters.

So, as far as what you can do, a Royal Gramma should be able to hold its own as mentioned. That may be your best bet.

Braden - I actually did comment on the Cherub Angel in my previous post :) As mentioned, I do not think a 29 Biocube is large enough for one. They are very active, aggressive little fish. If there were no other fish in the tank, then you could probably get away with it, but I wouldn't risk it. A Fisher's Angel is in the same boat. Although they are the smallest of the pygmy angels, they pack a mean punch. I certainly don't think a Royal Gramma would do well with a Sixline, Maroon and one of the Angels mentioned.

Avoid Mandarins in a Biocube. Too many have tried and too many have failed. You already have one fish that would compete for food with it (Sixline).

And no to the puffers, as there are none that are reef safe (even the small Toby Puffers will pick off your clean up crew). Size wise, a Biocube is still a little small for them anyways. Best for a larger FOWLER tank IMO, as they are messy eaters.

So, as far as what you can do, a Royal Gramma should be able to hold its own as mentioned. That may be your best bet.

Ok thanks for the advice. I still am going to look into the mandarins as you can feed the frozen, and the angels, as B (Brendan I believe?) from Unique Aquaria was the one to say that the cherub and fishers angels could possibly work and he has had a lot of experience. I do value yours, I am just saying that since he runs a fish store and has probably experienced and dealt with various different species, he is also another person that could help me out with this choice.

Thanks again, Braden :D

Ok thanks for the advice. I still am going to look into the mandarins as you can feed the frozen, and the angels, as B (Brendan I believe?) from Unique Aquaria was the one to say that the cherub and fishers angels could possibly work and he has had a lot of experience. I do value yours, I am just saying that since he runs a fish store and has probably experienced and dealt with various different species, he is also another person that could help me out with this choice.

Thanks again, Braden :D

No problem. I do advise you to do tons of research before you purchase. There are tons and tons of Mandarin in Biocube threads for you to read through. As far as the Angels, like I said, it could work, but you are honestly creating quite the aggressive tank IMO. Either way, read, read, read :)

Back