looking for recommendation on a return pump

good thing about the Dc pumps is you can turn them down . but the head pressure generated by them is less than desirable , so if you go with a Dc pump over size it . remember ALL pumps can be tuned down at the outflow but not on inlet

this isn't a under tank pump you are pushing a good head get a pressure rated pump. It;s 11' of head before you add any plumbing.

Get a real pump just do your home work My Mak4 draws 80watts. You want an Iwaki-panworld-reeflo quality pump or they will just burn out or just not be able to handle the pressure. figure out your exact plumbing to get you head pressure then pick a solid external pump. Add that much head to a Mag pump and you will see how close it is to a having another 300-400watt heater in your tank is like. When they heat up like that they build calcium and burn out

^ what he said.

Also since I don't think it's been discussed other than in that post, in addition to the actual height you need to account for the "head loss" from the plumbing. Every foot of horizontal pipe, every elbow, valve, union, exct all add to the head loss.

While not perfectly exact, here's the RC head loss calculator;

http://www.reefcentral.com/index.php/head-loss-calculator

Now for example, if you run a Mag12 with .75" pipe and no other fittings with the 11' rise the head loss adds up to more than 12'.

thanks everyone for the suggestion. now it's up to me to search around and to work with the wallet: thanks again

see if you can find a t3/t4 velocity series.
pretty much bullet proof from what I understand but they are discontinued and pretty hard to come by.

see if you can find a t3/t4 velocity series.
pretty much bullet proof from what I understand but they are discontinued and pretty hard to come by.

I sold my velocity t4 few months back on here. Pump is dead dead silent. Runs warm though so just keep that in mind. I wouldn't recommend it for that high head pressure though.

Back