Looking for sump ideas

Newguy

Non-member
So I picked up a 40 b yesterday. Looking to make a sump. I have a sro xp2000 cone skimmer that according to the manufacturer it requires between 5.5-6" of water to operate. I would like more like 12 inches for the middle chamber. Is there a way I'm missing to adjust baffle heights to allow the skimmer to sit in the first chamber and still be able to utilize the middle chamber with more than 6 inches of water? I can not raise the skimmer on a stand due to its 21.5 inches tall and my stand inside is 25. Any help would be appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What do you need the 12 inches for? If a Refugium, put the fuge to one side, skimmer in mid and return on right.

Yes. Was going to put a little refugium in there. If I put it in the same chamber as the return or the overflow I think there would be to much flow in there. Maybe I'm wrong

So if I go left to right. Drain/skimmer, return,refuge. My skimmer needs to sit at such a shallow depth, 6" my first baffle would need to be 6"? My question is, if that's the case then wouldn't my return section only be 6 " deep as well? Or can I go taller in the middle section. For some reason I feel if I went taller in the rerun and fuge sections it would force water back to the first chamber raising the level. Am I wrong?

So if I go left to right. Drain/skimmer, return,refuge. My skimmer needs to sit at such a shallow depth, 6" my first baffle would need to be 6"? My question is, if that's the case then wouldn't my return section only be 6 " deep as well? Or can I go taller in the middle section. For some reason I feel if I went taller in the rerun and fuge sections it would force water back to the first chamber raising the level. Am I wrong?

If you have a drain feeding each of the end chambers and used a valve over the fuge to control the flow to that chamber only, I would think you should be ok. You'd want lower flow to the fuge to prevent it from being the boss.

Last edited:
I will be running an external bean. So t off the drain with valves at the fuge and skimmer section. Skimmer section/drain being 6" then I can make the return and fuge sections say 12 ". Does that sound about right? Thanks so much everyone as always for your help.

you can make a stand for you skimmer with egg crate( used for ventilation in ceiling tiles)and PVC legs... make your baffle where you want it.. then figure out the height you need and cut 1/2" dia. PVC legs and hot glue them to the egg crate to make a stand for your skimmer

I can't raise the skimmer. I have 25 inches under the stand and the skimmer is 21.5 inches tall. I need to be able to take the cup off reasonably easy so I need 1.5 inches of space plus the 1 inch I loose inside the actual tank puts me at 24 inches leaves an inch of space.

I can't raise the skimmer. I have 25 inches under the stand and the skimmer is 21.5 inches tall. I need to be able to take the cup off reasonably easy so I need 1.5 inches of space plus the 1 inch I loose inside the actual tank puts me at 24 inches leaves an inch of space.

What skimmer? Seems silly a skimmer so tall requires such little water.

Back