Looking to control PO and NO3: 72 gallon reef, needs to be HOB, best options?

JeremyAN7

Non-member
Two little fishes phosban reactor, modified for bio-pellets?

Any reason i can't run a small UV inline with this? Planning on powering it all with a small 150 gph pump.

Other options?

Thanks

ok i get that you guys like a fuge but.. I am asking advice about a GFO / phosban / bio pellet installation..

thanks

I got them running in my system and i have horrible cyano blooms going on atm XD they have been running for nearly a month.

I have a brs carbon/hc gfo phos reactor with a cobalt mj1200. Reduces phos. The reactor will hang nicely on the back with a little modification. Also you can run a uv inline if you desire. The flow is perfect for uv, not too fast.

I would also consider dosing vinegar. Vinegar is cheap, requires no equipment, can help reduce NO3 significantly /P (with both GFO and carbon dosing you actually need to watch for phos stripping or too low phos.) One more plus, vinegar does not seem to cause cyano problems like vodka can.

Last edited:
WOW! I never would have thought to do vinegar dosing. does anyone know about the chemistry there? Also, when you all say dosing carbon, are you talking about mixing it in with the reactor? I run a small amount of carbon by default in an emperor (very small amount) (2 ounces changed monthly)

Vinegar, vodka, and bio-pellets are all forms of organic carbon dosing. Carbon dosing allows increased bacterial growth which takes up nitrate and phosphate as the bacteria grows.

Activated carbon (the charcoal like stuff) is chemical filtration.

It's easy to get confused....

Use red sea NoPoX

It is similar to vinegar/vodka. I use it. It is dosed based on your levels with a chart.

Biopellets will cause cyano until they start working. Which can take weeks/months to get to amount you need.

With bio start with 1/8 of what you need. Add remaining over 2 months to keep cyano down

Interesting. So my plan is: Two little fishies 150 reactor fed by rio 400 with the lowest dose of bio pellets (also two little fishies) I'm thinking 200 grams for my 72 gallons) outflowing through a 9w UV filter. All the while keeping a sharp eye on the skimmer for increased "output".

WOW! I never would have thought to do vinegar dosing. does anyone know about the chemistry there? Also, when you all say dosing carbon, are you talking about mixing it in with the reactor? I run a small amount of carbon by default in an emperor (very small amount) (2 ounces changed monthly)

The link in my post discusses the biochemisty behind vodlka-vinegar ie organic carbon dosing.

Interesting re: vinegar. Not sure I want to do BOTH media reactor AND vinegar. especially since I have neither now.. so perhaps I'll start with the new reactor...

Upcoming Events

June 9, 2024
Ben Johnson
Club Meeting

Back