looking to get a new protien skimmer

mark429

Non-member
As the title says I need to get a new skimmer. I am upgrading my tank to a 75g with a 30g sump and need a new skimmer. I was wondering what brand everybody uses for a fair price, I’m not looking to cheap out but I don’t want to spend 800 either, any thoughts would be great thanks.

Super Reef Octopus 1000 Internal Protein Skimmer about $285 or the SWC Xtreme 160 Cone Protein Skimmer about $275 are great for the price. The Super Reef uses a Bubble Blaster pump and uses about 20watts of power. I ran one on a 90 gallon with a 20L sump and it skimmed extremely well. The SWC uses about 27watts, but is a space-saver model where the pump sits inside the skimmer.

I'd stay away from the SWC 160 skimmer. It comes with a lousy pump that has restart problems. When this happens you have to disassemble the entire skimmer to get it going, put it back together, and then hope it starts when you put it back in your sump. I think the only pump that will fit in it is the one it comes with.

I'd stay away from the SWC 160 skimmer. It comes with a lousy pump that has restart problems. When this happens you have to disassemble the entire skimmer to get it going, put it back together, and then hope it starts when you put it back in your sump. I think the only pump that will fit in it is the one it comes with.

Did not know that and that's the first time I heard a complaint about them. Did you experience it or is it something that your read?

Did not know that and that's the first time I heard a complaint about them. Did you experience it or is it something that your read?

I experienced it twice and read about many with the same problem when I was searching for a decent replacement pump. The sole distributor of SWC skimmers in the US, Reef Filtration, doesn't even sell the Atman pumps anymore. I did check over on R2R in his sponsor forum and he's now recommending a $30 Aqua Via pump as the replacement. Apparently it's the same pump as the Atman pump he no longer carries....

http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/reef-filtration/76127-alternative-pump-swc-160-180-skimmers-2.html

Last edited:
99.9% sure sicce psk1000 fits SWC as a replacement. I planned on buying one for my SWC 150. The attman NEEDS to be cleaned thoroughly every 3-4 months and its fine. It does get temperamental if its dirty. All pumps should be disassembled and cleaned periodically for good measure anyhow. Attmans just require it a little more frequently. This is one downfall of an otherwise spectacular skimmer. It pulls some seriously nasty schwag out of my 100 gallons. And for the record it has never stopped on its own; it just lets you know when it's ready to come apart for a cleaning by not restarting after shutting down for a cup cleaning.

my diablo 160X has always treated me well but it is way overkill for a 75. i wish i had gotten the SWC

I have heard about the reef octos but didn't like the fact that you have to run 2 pumps to operate it

I think you may be talking about the recirculating skimmers, those have a pump that circulates water within the skimmer while another pump feeds the water (you can also use your drain as a feed) the ones mentioned above have one pump that feeds water and injects the air into the skimmer body.

I have a reef octopus that I love that has 1 needle wheel sicce pump, cost around $350. In general I've heard its best to get a skimmer that is rated for twice your tank size. I have a 90g tank and got a skimmer rated for 200g. Overkill? Maybe. But I've never had an algae or nutrient problem in my tank and fish and corals are healthy as can be.

That's a first I've heard about the Atman pumps. Maybe I've been lucky but I have the SWC 150 and 120 and haven't had any issues with the pumps restarting. I've had the skimmers a few years now and only clean them about once a year :eek:

Just bought the Super Reef Octopus SRO2000 In Sump Protein Skimmer and it ran great right away pulling out all the nastiness in the tank. Replaced a Coralife 125 Super Skimmer ...not even close, the SRO2000 is great!

Back