Looking to get back into the Hobby - Tank Advice

Zach W

Non-member
Hi All, I am looking to get back into the hobby and am space constrained (and wife constrained) to a 36" tank. I have narrowed it down to the Waterbox MarineX 90.3, Reef 100.3, or RedSea Reefer 250. Does anyone have first hand experience with these tanks and/or advice one way or another. From what I've read people seem to like that stands from the Waterbox tanks more than RedSea and the fact that they have leveling feet so I have been leaning that way but I have never owned either brand. The MarineX is not as deep (front to back) at the Reef series which makes up the volume difference but the MarineX has removable weirs for cleaning and I think slightly different plumbing. My initial thoughts are to go with the MarineX 90.3 but I'm hoping for some feedback. Thanks!

Hi All, I am looking to get back into the hobby and am space constrained (and wife constrained) to a 36" tank. I have narrowed it down to the Waterbox MarineX 90.3, Reef 100.3, or RedSea Reefer 250. Does anyone have first hand experience with these tanks and/or advice one way or another. From what I've read people seem to like that stands from the Waterbox tanks more than RedSea and the fact that they have leveling feet so I have been leaning that way but I have never owned either brand. The MarineX is not as deep (front to back) at the Reef series which makes up the volume difference but the MarineX has removable weirs for cleaning and I think slightly different plumbing. My initial thoughts are to go with the MarineX 90.3 but I'm hoping for some feedback. Thanks!
I can't speak from experience toward the smaller red sea setups, but every larger red sea I've owned all have come with leveling feet. Red sea also has removable weir for easy cleaning. I have always owned red sea but my buddy does have waterbox and I must say they do not disappoint so either or is a good setup

I have both RS and WB. No major issues with either so far. My choice would be for a wider tank instead of a taller tank. What about a lagoon style tank?

I too enjoy a wider tank rather than a taller one.

I have a water box mini peninsula 15 and tbh I'm a little disappointed with it. The stock pump...the person who selected that pump should not be in charge of any more decisions. I also don't like the configuration of the AIO sump partitions on my waterbox.

Maybe I'm just a grump, but when spending hundreds on a 15 gallon tank, I expected better.

I don't think I'll buy a waterbox ever again. Maybe if someone gave it to me ...

I have both RS and WB. No major issues with either so far. My choice would be for a wider tank instead of a taller tank. What about a lagoon style tank?
Thanks for the suggestion, I will definitely check out some lagoons! So in your opinion depth isn’t that important?

I too enjoy a wider tank rather than a taller one.

I have a water box mini peninsula 15 and tbh I'm a little disappointed with it. The stock pump...the person who selected that pump should not be in charge of any more decisions. I also don't like the configuration of the AIO sump partitions on my waterbox.

Maybe I'm just a grump, but when spending hundreds on a 15 gallon tank, I expected better.

I don't think I'll buy a waterbox ever again. Maybe if someone gave it to me ...
Thanks for the feedback! My last tank was an IM Fusion 20Gal and the stock return pump was dreadful on that too. I had to upgrade almost right away. For these options I would have to buy my own return pump (vectra S2 or M2) and they come plumbed with a sump so I won’t have to worry about the AIO chambers anymore but I feel your pain from before!

I think your missing another great tank. Innovative marine. That being said pick one that you like. You named some top brands and I don’t think you can go wrong. I own Red Sea and love it. just pick some quality equipment to help you enjoy it! Good luck

Thanks for the suggestion, I will definitely check out some lagoons! So in your opinion depth isn’t that important?
Depends on the situation. I have an IM30 which is short and works great as a frag tank. It sits on a counter and is at a great height. No fish.

I also have a Reefer 250 and I’ve always thought that it could use more room front to back. There is an overflow in the middle of the 250 that is problematic for flow and negative space. A peninsula style RS 250 or no internal overflow would have been preferable for me.

If that location had a concrete floor, I would seriously consider replacing the Reefer 250 with an IM Ext 112 Lagoon even though I’m trying to reduce the # of tanks.

Smaller tanks like above yes pumps crap...go to harbor freight and grab a creek stone pond pump. They fit perfectly in chambers for 12.00.

Back