LS.. requirements

Rone

Non-member
Tank is coming along. LS has been cleaned good. I would like to get this process going. I plan to add some good LS to it. I have a 100/gallon tank and only mixing 35 at a time. What do I need to do to keep it alive until I have enough water. Can I just put the 35 gallons in with a power head and some LR with heater to start the process?

that should be fine just through in a heater to. if i gets to cold it will kill the bacteria

Where did you get the live sand? Store bought or from other people?
If store bought, I would just keep them in their bags. if they comes from another tank, I will just keep it submerged under salt water and rinse the hack out of it before use.

Came from another tank. I rinsed the crap out of it as it was in a bucket outside for 2 weeks.

Last edited:
If you rinsed it and it has been outside for 2 weeks it is no longer live sand. When you go to use it make sure you rinse it again to remove what has died. I am sure it smells good!!!

I have rinsed it good. Plan to use some of the LS I have in my tank to seed it.

where it sat outside for 2 weeks whatever was alive is now DEAD because you rinsed it out and left it outside for two weeks. I meant when you go to use it you will need to rinse it again to get rid of and remove every thing that died from being left outside. If you just throw it in your tank it will take everything that was dead and cause a wicked cycle.

Back