Lubricating Vortech Wet-side (MP10/MP40)

wpeterson

BRS Member
I've been diligent about breaking down the wet-side of my Vortech pumps once a month or so. I take them apart and scrub off any detritus and then soak them in vinegar to dissolve any calcium or other buildup.

I have not been applying any lubricant to the wetside when I re-assemble it, but I was reading today that Vortech ships them pre-lubricatd with food-grade vegetable glycerine. I'm planning to use this to lubricate the wet-sides after I clean them from now on.

Do any of you lubricate your Vortech assemblies after cleaning? I noticed mine made less noise and operated much more smoothly after I did this the first time (about a 1 year old Vortech MP10).

That's more than what I do buddy :)

I clean mine maybe very 3-4 months, but I never heard of lubeing up the wet side... Giggidy :rolleyes:

Mine have been going for about 2 years like this with no issues...

Higor

Last edited:
It's probably a symptom of cleaning them too much/too deeply, but one of my MP10s was definitely experiencing friction and vibration until I did this earlier today.

When u guys "lube up" the wet side, are u doing because u r completely unscrewing it?! I'm pretty sure u r not suppose to do that.

But then again, I could be 100% wrong. I'm just saying I've had mine for a while and this is the first time I've ever heard this topic brought up about any power heads. Usually u really don't want to introduce any of those kinds of substances to a reef tank...

Higor

Every month, I disassemble and clean the wet-side of my MP10s. I scrub them to remove detritus and then soak them in vinegar for 30 minutes or so. Then I put them back together. Now, I'll be applying the food-grade glycerin to the propellor shaft before re-assembling it.

Here's the official Ecotech howto on taking it apart to clean it:

[video=youtube;SmieK9jwI-k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmieK9jwI-k[/video]

Yeah, the MP10 is a little different than the MP40. The MP40 has a screw, and the blade doesn’t come apart like the MP10. U have to unscrew it... I really don't see a reason to lube it up, I have never seen/heard of it being done and never done it myself.

Higor

Higor,

You may want to unscrew the MP40 if you get precipitate build up, which is really what is causing most of the noise people experience with these pumps (once the positioning adjustments have been made). As far a lubing it, I have not done that myself. I never have any noise issues with the MP40's...

I break my mp40 down completely about once every 4 months. Vinegar soak the toothbrush scrub.

Running stron over 2.5 years

Interesting with the lube.

Higor,

You may want to unscrew the MP40 if you get precipitate build up, which is really what is causing most of the noise people experience with these pumps (once the positioning adjustments have been made). As far a lubing it, I have not done that myself. I never have any noise issues with the MP40's...

I do that every once in a while, just never really lubed it up :cool:

Higor

if I had to do that kind of maintenance I would sell them. I clean mine when they stop spinning, every 10-12months. If you feel like they might need to be lubed it might be because you have them on to tight? When I first got mine I had them set on space thinker than needed so they would fall if kids touched them. All it did was make noise, wear, and binding issues. Leave them alone

I clean mine at a noticeable decrease in output. Never lubed. Had them for a year and a half, cleaned one of them once.

Back