Made the plunge into LED's

mnavick

BRS Member
After 13yrs of running MH (Aquamedic 3x250w HQI 2x54w Actinic) I made the plunge into the LED world.
Old fixture needed it's yearly bulb replacement PLUS 2 ballasts, so figured it was time.
Grabbed 3 GalaxyHydro's from Amazon with WiFi as temps and testing.
WiFi never worked right and while they did light up the tank amazingly, was either to blue or white.
Didn't have the coin for the high end fixture so narrowed it down to LedZeal or SBreef.
LedZeal has AMAZING features and customization but shipping direct from Hong Kong puts a kink in budget-$132 FedEx (and only a 1yr warranty and no US dealers).
SBreef came highly recommended, and dealing with Mike was very easy (no 12hr time difference) AND 2yr warranty+out of FL.

So, decided on two SBreef 32" Pro Timer models, and because I have an Apex found someone (sLink Cables on Facebook) that makes custom cables that are plug-and-play to a VDM :) No need for the extra $$ for the WiFi units for Ramping!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

wow that looks like a lot of LED's packed in those fixtures. They look very similar to reefbreeders as well. I hope they work out well for you.

Sb's are great I am using the 16" timer model on my 40BImageUploadedByTapatalk1462672709.292124.jpg

Mike, I'd be curious how you make out over time. Would it be too much to post a photo and comments every month?

Not a problem at all!!
My red-orange Cap has already snapped back after 6 weeks of no light (1st side of MH to go).
Another coral (not sure of name) has white little "feelers" coming out all over it that I've never seen before.

I'm still only at 35% blue and 45% white. Will increase a few percentages weekly until a desired level is achieved.

20160509_173212.jpg

20160509_173235.jpg

20160509_173224.jpg

Last edited:
Back