Mag Drive #24 pump issues, if you have a mag read this!!!

Rigor

Non-member
Some of you may know that I had issues with a Mag Drive #24 about a year ago. http://www.clubswam.org/forum/index.php?topic=1585.0 Here is the update along with new issues

The original issue was noise. After changing out the PVC pipe to vinyl tubing, and finding the impeller's ceramic shaft broken, I was able to reduce the noise by alot.

A month or so ago, I entered my fish room to find no water flow and the Mag#24 not working, and really hot.

Upon further inspection of the pump and it insides I found that the impeller had cracked down the middle and that the metal inside was exposed. The rust and corrosion had eaten to almost an 1/8"th of an inch down.

Around Nov or Dec, I had lost some corals one by one almost over night. I had lost large colt, pagoda cup, lobo brain, maze brain and a ricordia. I assumed that what had caused this was "brown slime disease". No other corals were effected or have ever shown any problems.

I believe now, that with the amount of rust that has been released from the #24, this was the cause.

I have ordered an third impeller, and have decided to hold off on reinstalling the pump. I replaced the mag #24 with a #11. I have seen major improvment in my tank since then. Most I am sure is related to the removal of the rust. The second may be the reduce in water flow.

I am very disappointed in the impeller cracking in one year and releasing rust into my tank. I thought I could trust a great pump like the Mag Drive due to it's reputation. Danner Mfg, has discontinued the #24 implying that there was a flaw. When I spoke to them last year. They stated that they were "revamping" the #24. Did I just get a lemon of a pump or is Danner Mfg worth giving another try?

Attachments

• IMG_0123.JPG
    IMG_0123.JPG
    84.6 KB · Views: 739
  • IMG_0124.JPG
    IMG_0124.JPG
    83.7 KB · Views: 790
Back