Throttling back a Mag-Drive 24 pump

yes, it's fine to throttle back any centrifugal pump with a ball valve on the OUTLET. Don't restrict a pump on the intake side.

I agree that it is fine to throttle back the output but not the inlet to the pump.

That said, IME with mag drive pumps, when they are throttled back they seem to suffer increased reliability problems. In particular they tend to not restart after being shut down/power outage. They also seem to eat impellers faster and faster with age. I believe that the reliability issues I'm referring to mainly apply to the larger mag drives, 12 and up. I have no exp with the smaller ones, but I have been told that they hold up better over time.

If you can't tell already, I personally am not a fan of mag pumps. They are cheap, but they use tons of electircity and don't seem to hold up over time.

Eheim submersibles rock, otherwise quality external pumps are the way to go IMO.

(on the other hand, mag drives make great paperweights when they die)

if you have to throttle it back then downgrade to a 18. I have to throttle back my 9.5 as well. My 7 isn't strong enough and the 9.5 is to strong.. to bad they dont make a mag 8.5 :)

Back