Magnesium Chloride Hexahydrate????

lactrain

Moberator in training
Stopped in at the local True Value Hardware ( http://newbedford.citysearch.com/profile/4831650 ) today and noticed a pallet of ice melt ... Sodium Chloride..No Good.

So I figured I would inquire into the possibility of them purchasing a pallet of Magnesium. He then looked into his distributors and informed me that he is able to order a product called Ultra Mag from a distributor called North East Salt Products ( http://www.nasalt.com/index.htm ).

The manager stated that it wouldnt be a problem to order it either by the bag or by the pallet. Price per bag (50lb) he stated is 18.00 dollars a bag. He also stated that there would be an extra 10% off if a pallet were to be ordered and a pallet contains 49 Bags this would bring the price down to 16.20 per bag.

Unfortunately When I went to their website they label the bags differently. The call them Dustgard or Freezegard ( http://www.nasalt.com/products/magchloride/liquid.htm ) so im in the process of determining which product is appropriate for our application.

I managed to come across a link on their site that did state that they have a grade suitable for aquaculture ( http://www.nasalt.com/msds/Magnesium%20Chloride%20(solid).pdf ).

On their safety data sheet it does state that their distributor is a company called Great Salt Lakes Minerals Corporation ( http://www.gslminerals.com/index.htm ) out of Overland Park, KS and their supplier is Compass Minerals International ( www.compassminerals.com ) with the same address. I went to both of their sites but not much more luck then being reffered back North American Salt.

Reason for this thread was i figured if I determine what bag they put their Magnesium in then it maybe as simple as going to the local true value giving him a product number and ordering a couple bags for 18.00 per bag. Still an incredible savings!

Len

Any input on this is appreciated!!

Why do you want to get this product? Have you not been able to obtain any from people who participated in the group buy?

If I were you, the first route I'd choose is get some from a member that participated in the group buy.

If that doesn't work then I'd suggest you get some from a local store that is selling the flake form of the magnesium chloride from the Dead Sea Works.

If that doesn't work then I'd suggest you get some from a local store that is selling the pellet form from the Dead Sea works.

Only as a last resort would I suggest you go with the stuff from a different manufacturer. I don't know that it would be problem, but why take the chance?

Greg Hiller said:
Why do you want to get this product? Have you not been able to obtain any from people who participated in the group buy?
Actually I was able to purchase a portion from a member .... I have no knowledge of where to purchase Dead Sea Works Brand other then relying on others to form a group buy? Can it be purchased at a local Home Depot?

Greg Hiller said:
If I were you, the first route I'd choose is get some from a member that participated in the group buy.
Inquiring at True Value was actually my first stop at looking for a retailer but they did not carry Dead Sea Brand. I dont beleive there is much/if any available from the last group buy and by the thread it seemed like quite the operation to conduct one.

Greg Hiller said:
If that doesn't work then I'd suggest you get some from a local store that is selling the flake form of the magnesium chloride from the Dead Sea Works.

If that doesn't work then I'd suggest you get some from a local store that is selling the pellet form from the Dead Sea works.

I was under the impression that Dead Sea Works brand was hard to find. Are there known retailers that carry this stuff. Is DSW the only one recomended manufacturer of this stuff.

Once I make the switch to RandyR I dont want have to go back to B-Ionic so Im utilizing my local resources. To me there is a price on convience, If a have to travel miles, set up dates and make arrangements, then come home and mix the stuff, it all takes time, time is money, it may be more cost effective to shoot up to CRA pay the price and im done.

Greg Hiller said:
Only as a last resort would I suggest you go with the stuff from a different manufacturer. I don't know that it would be problem, but why take the chance?

Point well taken ... I am weary to even add the ice melt product that Dr. Farley's reccomending...just that the price of the mag is so much cheaper but im just factoring in the cost of labor now.

Len

If you got some from a member you are all set.

>Inquiring at True Value was actually my first stop at looking for a retailer but they did not carry Dead Sea Brand. I dont beleive there is much/if any available from the last group buy and by the thread it seemed like quite the operation to conduct one.<

In the older thread about the group buy I posted the local hardware store where I found the pellet type. I think someone in there may have also posted where the flake type was.

I have recieved an email from the manufacturer containing the technical data but I am unable to upload it because it exceeds the limit.

If you need one (bag) from the last group buy, let me know. I bought a few to help out. I would part with one if someone wanted it.

Thank-you "mam" .... but for now im all set (Sky-Dawn set me up with a half a bag) so hoepfully I will have enough to get me to the next group buy .... save it for somone who is in more need.

I was just hoping to find a resource a little more convienent. Im going to keep looking locally for Dead Sea Brand.

At the same time Im making a record of the info just in case Dr. Farley is ever interested in looking into other suppliers.

Maybe others who read this can check with their local True Value to see if they ship from the same supplier. I dont mind doing some leg work and keeping all the info togethor if this manufacturer is more readily available. It is manufactured in the US from a supplier out in Utah unlike Dead Sea and then when i called he did state that they are competitors so the two products are not the same.

Thanks Again ... You too "slave" ... good thing i was respectful your one big dude.

Len

>so hoepfully I will have enough to get me to the next group buy <

Unless you have an ENORMOUS tank a 1/2 bag will probably last you 10 years.

Thanks Greg you have been a lot of help ... I dont why i keep thinking that a half a bag wont last .... somone else (PHReef I beleive) has also mentioned that a little goes a long way...

I guess brcasue the fact that it takes so much to raise it (app 1 gallon) and im not putting into account that it will take much less to maintain it.

Back