Mammoth snails

The Ng Thing

Non-member
I had a small bit of hair algae in my 10g I was trying to get rid of. At first I was going to dose Mg but after some great advice I decided against it and decided to go natural with two (almost) gold ball sized turbo snails.

After a couple weeks the algae was decimated and these little rovers are all over my tank.

Now my dilemma ... Now that there is no hair algae do you think they will have enough to eat? I feed my two fish sparingly every other day. I have two hermit crabs and a bajillion stomatellas. I've cut down the nutrients in my system considerably since the outbreak and my original CUC is pretty strong.

I know they are just snails but they've served thier purpose. Do you think it's adoption time or am I just being overly concerned ...?

FWIW I'm unable to keep smaller snails because my hermit crabs are little thugs. They wait until night time, mug my snails, and take thier shells.

deal?

I'll take them to cure mine and return them with some $ when they are done or sooner if you need them back.

I have two turbos in a 30gal. Not as big as golf balls. Maybe half that. They do an awesome job of cleaning, but more than once they have knocked over corals/rocks. So I have to keep a close eye on things. No kidding those things are bulldozers. They could care less what is in their way. They go where they want to go.

I agree with trading them in for something smaller.

Wouldn't go astraea though personally. I have 4 and all they do is stick to the glass and powerheads and never actually clean anything that doesn't get cleaned by hand anyways.

That, and they can't right themselves if they fall upside down. One of mine nearly died that way until I noticed it upside down, then to my amusement a hermit came by and knocked him right side up before I could even grab my glove to stick my hand in the tank. Though I think in reality he was probably intending on stealing the snails shell, but oh well.

Back