Mandarin Advice

Docstach

Non-member
I have an older (~8-10years) mandarin who developed a lesion on her dorsal surface about a month ago. At first I thought I thought she maybe scrapped it against something, but it hasn't healed. While I think she has lost a little weight, she is still eating. I couldn't quite figure out why it wasn't healing well, but watching the aquarium today I noticed my singapore angelfish nipping at the spot. It didn't seem to bother the manderin too much and the angel wasn't really being aggressive. I think it just saw the spot and thought it was food. Anyway, I don't think the agnel caused the injury, but it may be the reason why it isn't healing. I have a ~18x18 tank inline with my main reef tank and sump (it actually gets fed from the sump first and overflows into the main tank). I am wondering if I should try to catch the mandarin and put it in the small tank to allow it to heal. The small tank also houses a tiny puffer, jawfish, and a good sized banded shrimp. I worry at little about the shrimp, potential lack of food, and overall trauma of moving her into the small area. Do you think it is worth trying or should I keep her in the normal area and hope it eventually heals?

Matt

Honestly, I would feel bad if I gave bad advice if the fish didn’t make it. I would most likely let it be and just keep an eye on the wound. If you wanted to remove r completely I would move it to a place with more food not less. So if you think there is a smaller supply of pods in your sump then I would leave it be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back