Mantis in a tank?

I love mantis the only problem with them in your main tank is if you want fish they may eat them and forget about keeping snails,clams or any shelled things at all for any leghnth of time

correct...might not happen for a long time if at all but its a pretty big chance id give ya 3/4 chance that it will eat them :)

Depend on how big is the Mantis. May be he will splits your finger before he eats a maroon clown.

I've heard that the mantis we usually get as hitchikers (in rock) are of the smasher variety, and prefer crabs and snails and things with hard shells. Spearers (who primarily catch fish) apparently live in burrows in the sand.

That said, snails are going to get awfully expensive if you keep one of these in your tank.

Nate

Thanks Nate, was just curious. I just think they look pretty cool and are pretty easy to maintain. I knew there could be some issues.

Thanks All!

if you go with a small tank get acrylic, I have heard that a full grown mantis can break a small glass tank

My boyfriend and I set up a mantis tank. It's one of those little Eclipse acrylic tanks 6 gallon. We have some chunky sand in there (so he can borrow if he feels like it) and we're going to put in a couple pieces of live rock with holes he can crawl into. He'll bust up the rock if he wants more space, I think.

We're picking up the mantis and liverock tonight! (Hopefully)

Also, be sure to put a titanium heater in there, if you go this route. I've heard of them breaking the glass on a heaters too. :) Crazy little bandits!

Melody~

I put a Damsel in with a 6" Peacock mantis over a month ago and the Damsel hasn't been touched. I feed the mantis 3 or 4 times a week so he really doesn't need to hunt, and like was mentioned above the smasher are designed for hard shelled animals.
I still wouldn't keep a mantis in my main tank, only in an acrylic species tank....they are fun to have around and easy to care for.

Oh well, We went to pick up the mantis last night, but he wasn't lookin' so hot. We're going to give him a day or two to recover. If he pulls through, we'll take him home. :)

He was really pretty. A nice bright green, which should only get greener with time. :)

We did pick up a few pieces of really cool looking LR though..

Melody~

Back