Maroon fuzz growing in my tank?

ebattistoni

Non-member
I have patches of what looks like maroon fuzz. Any one have an idea of what it is and if I need to get rid of it. It first looked like coraline so I left it along. Now it's growing up my powerheads and all over some live rock. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443324432.398072.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My tank is a year and a half old. It's not cycling. All parameters are good. What kind of algae and any idea how to get rid of it?

Is it hard to get off or does it scrub off easily?? Might be red turf algae. If its tough to get off then could be red turf and scraping and scrubbing it off causes it to spread. Emeralds and urchins will help. You can soak your power heads in some vinigar to at least get it off of those.

It's soft and fuzzy and does not come off easily. Looks like I will be looking for some additional cuc members. Can't do a tang- my tank is only a 55. I have a 90rr sitting in my trunk but not ready to set that up yet. Grrrr. It's starting to choke my zoas. Thanks all!

I'm open to all the tips I can get.

You also need to think about what could be feeding this particular algae. Stepping up detritus removal, making sure your RODI is 0 TDS, doing extra water changes, keeping skimmers clean and working well, etc are all things that I would be looking at for getting nutrients down. You may also consider starting to run GFO to help suck up extra phosphates. I've battled algae of all sorts like the entire 5 years I've had my tank and these are things that worked the best for me.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Back