maroons killing my bta

bwoolfrey

Non-member
I have a pair of maroons that push into a large bta so much that it hasn't opened for weeks. It also keeps moving around the tank. I keep feeding it but wondered if they could kill it. And should I take out the bta and find them a new host. Thanks for any advice.

Put a carpet anemone in there and see who is pushing who. :D
Are you sure it's the clowns that are agitating it and not anything else? I know maroon clowns are agressive(I have a pair of my own) but I never seen them hurting its host before. It's usually the other way around.

they wouldn't go near my carpet anemone and the large female, close to 6" has bitten off tentacles from my lta and eaten them.

6" maroon clown!! :eek: I wouldnt stick my hand in the tank!
my 3" maroon clown makes all sorts of mark on my arm when I'm cleaning the tank. It hurts!

Here she is with the bta and her mate.

Attachments

• maroon.JPG
    maroon.JPG
    76.1 KB · Views: 151
Ben,
when i had her i noticed she is rough with the anemones.. however, i believe maroons in general are rough with them..they really like to wiggle around in there... and they will bite them at times too.
no matter how small the anemone will get she will keep her chin right there.

i would estimate the age of this fish at around 10yrs, i had her for 6 and she was large when i got her.

good to see it is getting along with the smaller one.. there should be some info out there regarding hosting, no idea why they would want to eat the darn thing though...

The rule of thumb is not to put a clown with an anemone unless the anemone is 2-3 times the size of the clown. Maroons especially can over love an anemone to death. I would take out one of them or look for multiple large BTAs for the tank if you want to go to an anemone species tank.

Beautiful maroon by the way. They usually are a dark brown when they get to that age and she has gorgeous colors still.

yeah,,that's good info..i'll keep my eye out for a large anemone..i only have a small one and it recently split..and now i have two real small ones.

thanks for all the info. I will have to move the anemone to another tank. The carpet anemone I tried her in is about 18" across but everytime she went near it would stick to her and she would take off. Triggerfish, as soon as I put her in with the male he went into convulsions twitching on his side and hasn't left her since. Is there anything else they would like to host?

without the preferred anemone that fish will pick a spot it likes in the tank and claim it as her area/home..it could be anywhere. when i had her in without an anemone she just cleared out a path right up front near the corner and hovered there most of the day. she should take to any type of anemone i would imagine,,perhaps even the carpet in due time, now that the bta is not there.

here's one hosting a carpet..

Attachments

• maroon.jpg
    maroon.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 107
Back