Maxspect Gyre question

mvallee

Non-member
This is for anyone that owns a maxspect Gyre or any similar type pump. I am thinking of adding second pump on opposite end of tank but before I do can I get an opinion

I have a 5' long tank and needed a better power head so pulled the trigger on the XF250. I had been wanting one for a while, with the advanced controller, tons of features, read all the reviews, watched the videos and thought this was the one for me but I can not seem to get the flow I want. I have a couple long polyp leathers and plan on getting other LPS like torch hammer etc.. plus BTA and like the way they would sway in the back and forth of a wavemaker like the Jebao power head I had with the pulse on and off with just a slight wave. I thought I would be able to create similar flow with the forward/reverse of these pumps but nothing close.

For one this pump is so strong even on this 5' tank, that even at 30% the returning current at the bottom of the tank has the polyps straight out and had to move everything to the same side of the tank as the pump as the current is not too strong by then. In pulse mode the pump does not shut off but only goes down to 10% so not enough of a change from 30% to 10% to make anything resembling a wave. Having the pump in Gyre mode so it goes forward and backwards does not do it either because when the pump runs backwards it really does not create flow but rather a little turbulence out of the bottom opening so not enough to reverse flow.

Would adding a second pump to the other side and using the synch mode create that waving back and forth mode, I hate the idea of one of these pump on the viewing side of my tank but it is what it is.

I hate to spend more money on this if it will not get me what I want and all the videos of flow I find are showing the Gyre this pump creates and with two pumps all I can find are videos of the turbulence it creates where the flow meets which is awesome but not what I wanted. I have only had the pump on the tank for 24 hours and ready to take it off and go back to my old Power heads, if I could return it I would but once you get it wet it's yours.

And yes I realize I am complaining about the Gyre created by a Gyre pump

Adding another gyre will only double the issue you are having.
To get a true back and forth mode, you need the Tunze wave box.
Power heads on short pulse can only do multiple since wave.
Also I found Gyre is a poor choice for making wave and I use all my Gyre on linear mode.

This is for anyone that owns a maxspect Gyre or any similar type pump. I am thinking of adding second pump on opposite end of tank but before I do can I get an opinion

I have a 5' long tank and needed a better power head so pulled the trigger on the XF250. I had been wanting one for a while, with the advanced controller, tons of features, read all the reviews, watched the videos and thought this was the one for me but I can not seem to get the flow I want. I have a couple long polyp leathers and plan on getting other LPS like torch hammer etc.. plus BTA and like the way they would sway in the back and forth of a wavemaker like the Jebao power head I had with the pulse on and off with just a slight wave. I thought I would be able to create similar flow with the forward/reverse of these pumps but nothing close.

For one this pump is so strong even on this 5' tank, that even at 30% the returning current at the bottom of the tank has the polyps straight out and had to move everything to the same side of the tank as the pump as the current is not too strong by then. In pulse mode the pump does not shut off but only goes down to 10% so not enough of a change from 30% to 10% to make anything resembling a wave. Having the pump in Gyre mode so it goes forward and backwards does not do it either because when the pump runs backwards it really does not create flow but rather a little turbulence out of the bottom opening so not enough to reverse flow.

Would adding a second pump to the other side and using the synch mode create that waving back and forth mode, I hate the idea of one of these pump on the viewing side of my tank but it is what it is.

I hate to spend more money on this if it will not get me what I want and all the videos of flow I find are showing the Gyre this pump creates and with two pumps all I can find are videos of the turbulence it creates where the flow meets which is awesome but not what I wanted. I have only had the pump on the tank for 24 hours and ready to take it off and go back to my old Power heads, if I could return it I would but once you get it wet it's yours.

And yes I realize I am complaining about the Gyre created by a Gyre pump

I had that same issue. My tank is Also 5’ long.
I bought a second xf250 now it works great. I keep them both on, at 10%. One on each end of the tank.
I have all kinds of corals. everybody is happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had that same issue. My tank is Also 5’ long.
I bought a second xf250 now it works great. I keep them both on, at 10%. One on each end of the tank.
I have all kinds of corals. everybody is happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Same here. Unable to get that true back N forth but at 10% have great movement.

Back