May need to sell my 125g, advice?

Docstach

Non-member
So there is a pretty good chance I will be moving soon. I am not sure if this will just be somewhere else in Boston or to another city. Regardless, when I move I have decided I am going to sell everything and start over a bit later. I am definitely not getting out of the hobby, but I don't want to start a new job in a new city trying to rehab a tank I moved to the West coast. If we stay in Boston, we will likely move to a smaller place downtown (I am thinking the North End?). In that instance, the 125g will be too big.

Anyway, my question to people who have shut down systems. Have you had any luck selling >100g systems as a whole or have you had to part it out? Obviously it would be a lot easier to sell it all together and the system is doing pretty well, it just seems a lot harder to sell like that...

Sell it or get rid of it before the move. If times permitted you can always set one up later once everything is settled. The break can give you sometimes to think whether its worth to stay in the hobby, or planning for the next tank.

Sell the livestock. Keep the equipment.

Where ever we move, I don't think a standard 6' 125g (with 75g sump) will fit so I am planning on selling everything. My decision was more based on trying to sell everything as a complete package or as individual pieces. I was just wondering if anyone has had luck selling largish (I know this isn't large to some) systems as one package (livestock/corals/equipment) or if realistically I will need to try to sell things individually.

Thanks, Matt

Its almost impossible to sell the whole package. People already have RODI, heaters, powerheads and they just want some specific things.
It is much easier to sell individual things and then keep whatever equipments that you think you will reuse.

Going to have to agree with bao , unless it’s a new person to the hobby that wants a larger tank, it’ll be hard to sell as a package.

Part it out, start soon. Livestock and corals first. You might get lucky and find a white knight to buy multiple livestock/coral package.

Thanks, that is what I was afraid of and why I asked. I will have to start thinking about everything soon. I have some good pieces, but the tank is not overly full so maybe (hopefully) I will get lucky and find someone who wants to upgrade. Otherwise I will have to start coming up with an inventory.

Back