MChartier 90 Gal Build

mchartier

Non-member
So after sitting with the tank in the garage for a few months I finally got around to getting things going.

What I have going in is a 90 Gal Oceanic, 70 Gal rubbermaid stock tank sump in basement and 30 Gal Fuge (feed from the DT Drain).

Return Pump is a Mak4
Skimmer - ASM G3
Lighting - 2 250W ReefOptics 3 Plus with Bluewave 7 Ballast
4 - LED Moon lite modules
Bulbs - not sure maybe Ushio 14K
Carbon/GFO - BRS Dual Chamber
2 - 250W Titanium Heaters
2 - koralia 3s
about 120 lbs of the fiji/tonga Marco Rock
about 200 lbs of Caribsea Aragonite Seaflor Special sand

So far I am doing the electrical and plumbing not much but I do have a shot of the manifold that I dry fit tonight to see what everyone thinks.
Manifold.jpg

Also stand that will have the two rubbermaids underneath for RO/DI and Saltwater, the Carbon/GFO mounted to the side, and the fuge on top.
DSC_0116.jpg
And painted the back of the DT a navy blue. I will need to get a picture of it painted after. Wife was not to happy about spray painting in the garage.

It will be SPS dominant with some Zoa
The only thing that I am 100% on for fish is this
2 - Maroon Yellow Striped Clowns ( I know they can be aggressive)

Then up in the air for maybe
fox face rabbit or yellow tang
spotted goby
wrasse

couple things i'd say... personally i'm happy with my sandbed at 1" with the seaflor substrate... my tank is the same footprint as yours and i used probably half a 40 lb bag...

are you really looking for a 6" deep sandbed?

Also, depending on how much rockwork you prefer, you may find it challenging to fit 120 lbs of rock in a 90 gallon tank and still make it look good and leave sufficient room for fish to swim and corals to grow.

Joel - I am not sure that I will have the sand bed 6" deep, but will make it the depth that I like, also the I will have rock in the sump and not just in the tank.

A little update

Here is what I have done so far in the basement. Still need to change out the stock bulkhead on the sump, and connect it to the pump. The gray cord is the cord that I crimped for the Reefkeeper system, the black is the power cables to the MH lights.
DSC_0125.JPG
I don't have a heat gun so I turn this a little bit each day and will continue till it is pretty much straight. And that flex on the bottom is not glued I just have it there so it is out of the way right now.
DSC_0123.JPG
The tank is in place. The window does not get direct sunlight, so I do not think that will be an issue.
DSC_0127.JPG

I still need to dig a dry well for my water changes seeing that I have a septic system. I was going to plumb into the house system but after reading more about saltwater and septics I decided not to, so I am just waiting for the weather to cooperate.

We have rock and water

Well after some searching for a 1/4" fitting yesterday I got my RODI system installed and started to make some water. I have a well with a whole house filtration system, coming from that to the RODI I have 48 for a TDS reading and 000 coming out.

So late last night I got some sand and rock in the tank. My wife said when my son (3 yrs old) came down stairs and saw the tank he just let out a long and loud WOOOW, I wish I was there for that.

So tonight I started pumping water into the tank. This is where I am at right now, waiting on more water, I need to get a booster pump for the RODI my PSI is only at 35 with a max that I have seen of 40.

Right Side
DSC_0446.JPG

Left Side
DSC_0447.jpg

FTS
DSC_0448.JPG

Glad to see you finally getting some water in this tank. Wish I could say the same for mine. Awesome.

I have a pair of mated GSM's if you are interested in them.

I would love them but as you can see I am not ready for them yet.

I think I am going to order my booster pump today, it is slowing down my production of water I am no where near the 75gpd.

Nice looking build... And a booster pump would pay for itself in the long run. My dad has35-40 psi at his house for his RO/DI and I'm getting 65-70 psi and I make water 2-3 times faster than he does and I think he has a 100 gpd system and mine's a 75 gpd :D Plus you'll get a better waste water ratio with the psi in the proper range...

Love the rock scape.
Glad you got that whole ro/di thing figured out.
Can't wait to see it stocked.

PM me when you are ready, they are just sitting around right now in QT. You are right, they are really aggressive, but beautiful to look at.

Canopy Design

Starting to look at building the canopy for the tank, the one that came with it is not high enough for the MH lights, and seeing it is in the living room I want it to look good. So here is what I have so far as an idea. I was originally thinking of placing some kind of fabric in a panel on the front on both sides of the RKL head unit and mount the fans behind that but I am not sure of a material that would last. So this is what I have so far, done in Viso so it is not very detailed.

Canopy.jpg

Update: I replace/upgraded my 70 Gallon Stock tank to a 100 due to a small crack in the upper third of it. So here is the new sump. So far the Ammonia and Nitrite spikes have come and gone and have been at zero for ammonia, nitrate, and nitrites(never spiked yet). I have more water mixing now to fill the sump up more. I am currently working on the new canopy and hopefully will have that done soon.

DSC_0072.jpg

DSC_0073.jpg

Upcoming Events

June 9, 2024
Ben Johnson
Club Meeting

Back