Megaflow full of algae

Jill & Brian

Reef Hiatus
Anyone out there with a megaflow full of algae?

Mine is covered on the inside with hair algae, and some green bubble algae. The main display actually has none, which is cool. Maybe it is acting like a megaflow fuge ;)

-Brian

LOL that is funny cause I just found the same thing today in my brothers tank and was wondering what the heck to do about it there is more bryopsis in there than i have ever seen in any tank

I was having the same issue so I made a cover out of black Plexiglas to put over my overflow to keep the light out now it's clean as a whistle.

Dennis, did it spread to anywhere else in the tank, or did it just go away? That might just be the best way to fix it!

Jill & Brian said:
Dennis, did it spread to anywhere else in the tank, or did it just go away? That might just be the best way to fix it!
That is the way to fix it you have a high level of nutrients going over the over flow (surface scum). If you block the light you won't get the algae...

It was only in the overflow area kind of like a fuge. The light was very strong in there. Once the light was blocked it cleaned up very nice and has not returned.

BigCrowd42 said:
So is it a Fuge or Bad???
Not a fuge but kinda like one....

More bad than good just from blocking flow and not looking pretty. It is what it is high nutrients + light = algae

I dont think it looks that bad. The only time I notice it is if I am looking into the overflow from above. I was splitting my return the other day when I noticed how much junk I had in there. You can only see a little green through the slots in the megaflow.

BTW I have 0 nitrates without a fuge, and my tang loves it when a little chunk of algae goes through the return pump. I think I may pour a 6 inch bed of sand in it and call it a fuge ;) (just kidding on the sand) But at this point, I don't think it is hurting anything to have it in there, and it may be helping with some nutrient export. I am going to let it grow and see what happens!!

The only thing it way it will hurt if it ends up blocking the over flow (that will take a while). If it came to that the water would rise to the top of the tank above the overflow...

IMO It will not bother anything besides restricting a little flow. I have seen some covered in algae and not get clogged.

jango said:
The only thing it way it will hurt if it ends up blocking the over flow (that will take a while). If it came to that the water would rise to the top of the tank above the overflow...

IMO It will not bother anything besides restricting a little flow. I have seen some covered in algae and not get clogged.

This is what I was worried about I didn?t want to come home one day and find 20 gallons of water on the floor.

Mine has hair algea in it and if you keep your eye on it It won't clog.Every once and a while run something along the top on the inner wall an scrape a little off I have filter socks in the sump and i change after i do it. Anyone got any ideas how to keep macro algea in there without it clogging.

Back